Magnetic Ground Clamp

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #2  
With a magnetic clamp you still need to make a good low resistance electrical contact with the metal below, so paint or thick rust would need to be removed first. You may get away with using it over light rust, though I would take the extra few seconds to clean the surface with a wire brush and be sure.

The one I use has a little lever that can be turned to reduce the magnetic force to almost zero. That makes it easier to remove. It also greatly simplifies the task of cleaning accumulated magnetic "filings" that inevitably accumulate when grinding. They cost a little more, but I think they are worth the extra money.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #3  
I like mine. Nice for those projects that don't have an area close to your weld where a traditional jaw clamp will work.

IMG_2436.JPG

Terry

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #4  
Needs clean metal for the electric contact. Magnet works over rust or paint. Electric contact usually right in the middle of the magnet like a bullseye.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp
Ah-shucks, I was hoping for a shortcut for one less spot to clean up and repaint.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #6  
I would suggest one like Big Barn shows. Great for larger pipe and hard to reach places. I used to sell these things and the bigger the better and you get what you pay for although most of these are over priced. You will still need a regular ground for non ferrous of course.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #7  
I would suggest one like Big Barn shows. Great for larger pipe and hard to reach places. I used to sell these things and the bigger the better and you get what you pay for although most of these are over priced. You will still need a regular ground for non ferrous of course.

I've had mine three or four years now. My LWS(s) didn't even have them on the shelf. They wanted to order one in for me.

I "ordered " it myself from Amazon. Cheaper too.

Last edited:
   / Magnetic Ground Clamp #8  
I've got a cheap one. Fills up with grinding dust quickly. Not strong enough for rusty/painted. Copper lined the jaws of some clamps and ran cable to it for my little mig. Nice to be able to hold little stuff well with just the ground clamp.

/ Magnetic Ground Clamp #9  
I've had mine three or four years now. My LWS(s) didn't even have them on the shelf. They wanted to order one in for me.

I "ordered " it myself from Amazon. Cheaper too.

Amazon link?