Build your own grinder plans

/ Build your own grinder plans #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Earlier today I was watching an old episode of Forged In Fire. I kinda dig the show and I took notice of the belt grinders they were using. At first I thought they were multi thousand dollar pro units, but I noticed the interchangeable attachments had a home made look to them. I tried to do a google search and turned up several grinder plans that people use to build their own grinder. That certainly works with my budget! I was able to find two different grinder designs and both seem to have their own advantages. I've got a 1.5hp motor left over from a past project but these guys seem to be liking variable speed grinders. One design uses a belt and pulley to change the speed, the other builder uses a VFD to control the motor speed. VFD's are a really slick, but honestly, I'm not sure why there is a need to change the speed at all. Has anybody ever tried building a grinder from these designs? Was the outcome satisfying or prone to problems?

No Weld Grinder Detailed Plans to Build Knife Grinder | eBay

Grinders

/ Build your own grinder plans #2  
Pick a set of plans for a design you like, but SKIP the "no weld" approach. I'm certain you will be able to build a nice unit unencumbered by all those nuts and bolts. Ugh.

JMHO of course

I considered building one also until I started adding up the parts (didn't have a spare motor like you do).

I found bought this used one off eBay (Burr King 482) for $500USD plus shipping. Needed a bit of work though.

IMG_1462.JPG

Good luck!

Terry

Last edited:
   / Build your own grinder plans #3  
I built a "Grinder in a Box" from the Polar Bear Forge,

It's been a serious metal eating workhorse in my shop, but you will spend some serious coin on it after you get real wheels especially, mine are from Beaumont Metal Works. I use a 3HP, 3-phase motor for mine (bought for only $100), and run it with a VFD for speed control.

Here is a video I made of it: Grinder in a Box (GIB) Build, Details and Operation. - YouTube

Here are some pics, most are captioned I think: GIB Build

I still have a few things I'd like to finish better and improve-mostly the platen but I never seem to have time to get to it!

Oh: I did buy the "no weld" plans first...I was not very impressed.

/ Build your own grinder plans
I agree that no weld design does look hokey. Can I ask what the wheels ran you?

/ Build your own grinder plans #6  
Can I ask what the wheels ran you?

It's been a few years, but I seem to recall $500-600 but I built two attachments/tool arms and used a expensive 8" wheel on one of them. You'll have to decide the style you'd want want to build then price them at the link I posted above for Beaumont. You'll also need to pick a drive wheel diameter once you determine the motor your using and the belt speed you want to achieve. I just saw there is a new wheel/parts source linked on the PBF page, I know nothing about them though. Rob at Beaumont has a great reputation for service a quality parts.

/ Build your own grinder plans #7  
1x42 belt sander from an old clothes dryer for the motor, idler, a stand off a John Deere hay bailer and a roller skate wheel.

No need to get fancy if you just want something that works and don't care what it looks like.

306806d1362625200-show-what-tool-you-made-img_20130306_205823_592-jpg

/ Build your own grinder plans #8  
1x42 belt sander from an old clothes dryer for the motor, idler, a stand off a John Deere hay bailer and a roller skate wheel.

No need to get fancy if you just want something that works and don't care what it looks like.

306806d1362625200-show-what-tool-you-made-img_20130306_205823_592-jpg

Looks pretty nice to me. :)

Terry