Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So in my head I get why there are two different tools...

In my head Band saw better, but more expensive to own. Chop saw not so accurate and leaves debris but cheap.

So why when I walk into machine shops do I see both? Why would a person pick a chop saw over a band saw?

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #2  
Speed, portability and you don't always need a perfect cut. You can bring the chop saw to the work.

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #3  
band saw all the way.
specifically a drop saw.
you can start it and walk away, you can cut larger stuff.
I bought a used old American made heavy duty saw for $800.
no way would I buy a cop saw.

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #4  
If you are cutting large solid stock, the stink saw disc can "dull" and then the cutting slows to a crawl. All with an incredible build up of heat.

If you are cutting thin section shapes, the stink saw can be very fast.

A band saw can cut just about anything, (think aluminum) Stink saws? Not much beyond steel.

I'm wondering how to match a chop saw to one of those steel cutting blades meant to be mounted on a skil saw.

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #5  
In addition to what Arc weld mentioned sometimes you may have an extremely hard or unknown metal you don't want to risk ruining your bandsaw blade on.

Terry

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #6  
In addition to what Arc weld mentioned sometimes you may have an extremely hard or unknown metal you don't want to risk ruining your bandsaw blade on.

Terry

That is why files were invented! ;-)

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #7  
   / Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #8  
So in my head I get why there are two different tools...

In my head Band saw better, but more expensive to own. Chop saw not so accurate and leaves debris but cheap.

So why when I walk into machine shops do I see both? Why would a person pick a chop saw over a band saw?

Band saw for sure !! I have hated grinding dust with a passion ever since I had a lung collapse from operating a surface grinder back in the sixties.

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #9  
Must have been before my time. C'mon over and show me how it works.

If the material can be cut with a file, it can as easily be cut with a band saw.
If a file skates over the surface, the material may be too hard to cut by chip removal. Abrasive methods may be best. But how often does that really come up?

More often. it's an air hardening steel that has gotten hot and NOW will not permit cutting with saw tooth blades. Flood coolant and a slow surface speed wins every time!

/ Band Saw vs Abrasive Chop Saw #10  
I own all three: abrasive chop saw, toothed dry cut chop saw, band saw.

I seriously dislike small, cheap band saws - extremely slow, to the point of ridiculous.

The big Ellis brand saws I've used are excellent, but I don't own a big one yet.

I bring a portable band saw or one of the chop saws with me on the trailer when needed.
But I'll just use the 7" angle grinder with abrasive blade if it's just a quick cut here and there.