Welding on a hammer

/ Welding on a hammer #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Is welding on hammer like this ok? Did not know if any special steel was used or treating is done on a hammer head?

I did not weld this one I found these pictures online but I want to buy 5 hammers just like the one pictured and weld tabs on like that on all of them. They are for a special application where we need to dig small holes about the size of a softball and pound stakes in the holes.

Wanted to check on the metal issue before I screwed up $150 worth of hammers.

Attachments

• hammer2.jpg
    hammer2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 303
  • hammer.jpg
    hammer.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 332
   / Welding on a hammer #2  
There are a ton of these available for trapping, and some 'how to' videos online. Google "trapping hammer".

/ Welding on a hammer
Yes the picture I found was on a trapping website. All the ones I found for sale looked like they had weak handles. These will be used to pound around 2,000 stakes a week. I need them strong.

/ Welding on a hammer #4  
There are some trapping hammers with the sod buster tab that are all steel, including the welded on handle. But they might not be as comfortable swinging as those Estwings you pictured.

/ Welding on a hammer #5  
I don't know what specific steel is used for hammers, but the striking face is hardened. That's why hammers don't mushroom and chisels/wedges do. And why the stickers say to wear eye protection when using the hammers, because the hardened faces can chip.

/ Welding on a hammer #6  
It should not be a problem welding on them but why buy $30. hammers?
You could get at least 15 of them or more from HF for that much.
As stated, the heads are hardened buy not the body.
I have welded an ax head that split at the handle hole. I was pounding on it using it for a wedge. OOPS!
I have tried to weld a special piece onto an air chisel bit once and it didn't hold very long because of the vibration.

/ Welding on a hammer #7  
What type ground are you putting the stakes into and how long are the stakes?

/ Welding on a hammer
It is pretty sandy and they are 15" long. Pounding them in is no problem. I just need an all in one tool that can dig the holes and be used to pound them in.

/ Welding on a hammer
It should not be a problem welding on them but why buy $30. hammers?
You could get at least 15 of them or more from HF for that much.
As stated, the heads are hardened buy not the body.
I have welded an ax head that split at the handle hole. I was pounding on it using it for a wedge. OOPS!
I have tried to weld a special piece onto an air chisel bit once and it didn't hold very long because of the vibration.

Thanks. I don't buy much from HF anymore. I used to but with tools you get what you pay for most of the time. I know a hammer is a pretty basic thing but I have broke several HF ones in the past mostly issues with the head coming off. I like the estwing all steel design.

/ Welding on a hammer #10  
Would a typical framing hammer work? Use the nail puller end for the sod buster, and the other end for pounding in stakes.