Where to buy a new chuck?

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I would like to replace the keyed chuck in my Delta drill press which I have never done. I need some education please:

1.What online retailers are good?

2.What brands other than Jacobs should I look for?

3. The mandrel I have now is a Morse taper to JT2. I assume a new chuck will not be JT2 so I'll need a new mandrel too... How do I determine what Morse taper I have for the spindle? It is not stamped anywhere I can see.
Thanks in advance.

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #2  
Do you have the current chuck/mandrel out of the spindle? Alot of times the taper number is stamped on the end or side of the tang, you can also try and look up a manual for your press as it might be listed.
I don't know what size yout press is but most common sized drill presses are a mt2. There are charts online that show dimensions to compare them too.

I have probably 6 or 7 chucks of different sizes for my machines, all of them are Jacobs, there are other good quality chucks out there but I can usually get better deals on good used Jacobs, especially off ebay.

JT2 is still available but somtimes it's more trouble then it's worth to remove the chuck from the mandrel, also looks like the 2jt chucks are usually 3/8" capacity.
What size chuck and what quality are you looking for?

What model chuck is on the press now?

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #3  
I bought a new key-less chuck fro my own Delta drill press a while ago off of ebay. Didn't know much about what I needed to do, but it was a cinch to complete. There are 2 wedge type tool pieces you need to have in order to remove the old chuck from your existing mandrel.

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #4  
I got a 5/8" chuck from the Ellis saw company. not too bad on price. I like the idea of the keyless chuck.

/ Where to buy a new chuck?
Do you have the current chuck/mandrel out of the spindle? Alot of times the taper number is stamped on the end or side of the tang, you can also try and look up a manual for your press as it might be listed.
I don't know what size yout press is but most common sized drill presses are a mt2. There are charts online that show dimensions to compare them too.

I have probably 6 or 7 chucks of different sizes for my machines, all of them are Jacobs, there are other good quality chucks out there but I can usually get better deals on good used Jacobs, especially off ebay.

JT2 is still available but somtimes it's more trouble then it's worth to remove the chuck from the mandrel, also looks like the 2jt chucks are usually 3/8" capacity.
What size chuck and what quality are you looking for?

What model chuck is on the press now?

Thanks for the replies!

I have it all apart now. All the chuck says is 5/8" JT2 on it. I don't have a manual but will try to find one online.

I will look at the tang again tonight too make sure nothing is stamped there. Definitely not stamped on the end.

I would like the 5/8" capacity I have now.

Just looking at Macmaster-Carr I'd need to spend close to $300 for Chuck and mandrel. Probably too much for me. At the same time I don't want a $20 one off Amazon.

I assumed I should go with keyed. I do drill slow in metal with crappy cutting tools so... I'm open to keyless though. It would be awesome to have one that did both!

IMG_20170709_202825966-2254x4007.jpg

IMG_20170709_200357069-2254x4007.jpg

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #7  
When I replaced the original chuck on my Sears drill press I believe I may have gotten the Jacobs Superchuck that I replaced it with from Enco. They have been acquired by MSCDirect.

I went with the 1/8" to 5/8" model .... they currently run around $243 or so. If you want 1/8" to 3/4" capacity add another $120.

Jacobs chucks:

Drill Chucks - MSCDirect.com

A Rohm chuck which they also carry and is a little cheaper is another possibility.

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #8  
I have an OLD drill press made by Craftsman. About ten years ago I bought a brand new Jacobs 3/4" keyed chuck. Even ten years ago the chuck was $248.

I nearly croaked when I saw the price - hate to think what it would be now.

/ Where to buy a new chuck? #9  
Rohm is decent, search ebay, you can get good deals on jacobs new or used. How nice do you want to go? May not need a super ball bearing chuck like the 18N, maybe a 33 or 34 would work.

Rohm is decent, search ebay, you can get good deals on jacobs new or used. How nice do you want to go? May not need a super ball bearing chuck like the 18N, maybe a 33 or 34 would work.

I will look at the Rohm.

I don't know enough to know how fancy to go.... I want a chuck that holds... :confused3:

Need to go to at least 5/8". Not a daily use or production. No precision machining. Durability and low maintenance is a plus.

Advice appreciated...