Welding Hardened Steel

/ Welding Hardened Steel #1  

Robg165

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
The bucket on my MF 165 front end loader has cracks in it where the brackets for the arms attach to the bucket. I'm a real amateur when it comes to welding but I do have access to a stick welder. Since the bucket is hardened steel I'm not sure about what welding rod to use to get good penetration. Any advice on type of rod to use and the procedure to do the repair would be appreciated.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #2  
I doubt those brackets are "hardenable steel". They may well be better steel than car fenders, but that is subjective.

Pick a 7000 series rod that you have spent some time with. Vee out and prep the cracks completely. Weld from both sides if you can.

Don't leave any butt holes at the ends of your weld. ;-)

/ Welding Hardened Steel #3  
I doubt those brackets are "hardenable steel". They may well be better steel than car fenders, but that is subjective.

Pick a 7000 series rod that you have spent some time with. Vee out and prep the cracks completely. Weld from both sides if you can.

Don't leave any butt holes at the ends of your weld. ;-)
Solid advice. Cleaning out the crack is key. I'm not a fan of butt holes either. :laughing: But also do drill a hole at the end of the crack to reduce the stress concentration and arrest it from growing.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #4  
Yep. Bucket, and mounting brackets are likely just low carbon mild steel.

Rod selection is less important than what you are comfortable welding with.

A good weld with a rod that you are familiar and comfortable welding with is better than a bad weld with a higher strength rod.

/ Welding Hardened Steel
Thanks to you all for the advice. Is 7018 harder to weld with or would that be a good choice?

/ Welding Hardened Steel #6  
Drill the ends of the cracks and grind out the cracks. Then run a bead of 6011 and cap that bead with 7014.

/ Welding Hardened Steel #8  
7018 isnt difficult to run if you have a DC machine. More challenging on a Buzz box. But there are certainly easier rods to run

/ Welding Hardened Steel #9  
I've welded chipper blades with 7018 rods. I doubt the back of the bucket is hardened steel anyway.

/ Welding Hardened Steel
The welder I have is an old Lincoln AC-225C. So perhaps I should stay away from the 7018 given my lack od welding expertise.