recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter?

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #11  
Looking for recommendations for an entry level occasional use, budget oriented plasma cutter.

Seems entry level non-pilot. Is that an issue for a beginner?

Lotos LT5000D looks interesting...

I have 220V available, and 60gal 5hp compressor.

Today ......you can buy a Lotos LTP5000D on E-bay, with free shipping, and no tax for: $369.
That is a GOOD DEAL!
E-Bay listing # is: 202015807704

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #12  
Today ......you can buy a Lotos LTP5000D on E-bay, with free shipping, and no tax for: $369.
That is a GOOD DEAL!
E-Bay listing # is: 202015807704

That is a good deal, and it is from the US Lotos outfit direct (Ubargain 09) so both the 3 in 1 and single function pilot arc 50 amp plasma cutters are on sale right now.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #13  
Right now, all I have for cutting is a Sawzall and hacksaw. Also have bench grinder and 4.5" side grinder. And an older Miller 130 wirefeed.

Looking at Plasma cutter because I got the Superwinch someone posted about a few weeks ago, and want to get it mounted on my trailer. Have idea's for mounting, but would need to cut and fit metal to build the mount. And, there have been projects in past where it would have been handy.

One of those things like the trailer winch; I only have need once a year or so, but when I do it would really come in handy.

that's exactly where I was equipment wise, and on a budget so I couldn't even think about a miller or other 'name brand' unit. I've had exceptionally good luck with a number of other import devices (I'm a hobbiest, not t pro - although I made my living as a bench service electronic aviation tech for a few years) such as a wave solder heat gun, lab power supplies, wave generators, etc. and my MIG is an import also, so I took a chance on an import plasma - WOW, I am impressed for the $$ I spent what it does.

I went with a Cut-50 pilot arc and have been quite impressed with the machine. What I've found is that you can get by with it on 110V if you stay below about 40A but to get the full benefit of the 50A machine put it on a 20A 220V feed, and make sure your air supply is DRY (for any plasma cutter) the back of the unit dryer is not sufficient, get a FRL2000 and put inline, it's about 4X bigger than the puny little one on the CUT-50. Other than that, it will impress you for what a sub-$200 machine is capable of.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter?
I finally decided to pull the trigger and got the Lotos LTP5000D.

I've been out in the garage playing on scrap steel. Works nice so far. I need to work on cutting straighter; that is the rookie welder, not the machine :D

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #15  

I've been out in the garage playing on scrap steel. Works nice so far. I need to work on cutting straighter; that is the rookie welder, not the machine :D

Maybe try using a straightedge?

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #16  
This is what I use to cut straight.

Attachments

• Burning square 2.JPG
    Burning square 2.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Burning square plasma.JPG
    Burning square plasma.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 342
   / recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #17  

I have the LOTOS .. LTP5000D.
I also have an Eastwood, plasma cutting work table. (Eastwood #14142)
Nice table working height, and solid quality.
I think it is a bit pricey ($152.97) for what it is (a slatted top, simple steel table), but that said, it is a very useful working surface.
I have not found another source for anything comparable to this table.

Last edited:
   / recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #18  
have you seen the CUT50F models at ebay???? There are good reviews out there and videos. $285 shipped.

I am researching for a while now I think this is what I am going to buy in a few days. I am also building a CNC table, I have all the electronics/software working, and ideally I should buy a blowback pilot because the high frequency pilot start is very difficult to isolate from the boards and the motors but they are WAYYYY more expensive.
LOTOS model was the other candidate but the price and the good reviews lead me to the CUT50F . I was considering the Lotos plasma cutter with the welder 3 to 1 also LTPDC2000D but I figure out that with the same money I can buy a seperate welder

Also in research for a welding table too! Ideally some plans :) :)

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #19  
Plasma cutting is so much fun. Want a CNC table. How do I sell that need to the better half?

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #20  
Mark, before we can help you with that we'd need more info - go to her closet, and count the shoes; report back, and we'll go from there :D:D:D ...Steve

(To be fair, I have the advantage here - ever since mine admitted to me that she married me (53 years ago) because I had leatherworking tools :laughing: