Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Practice, experiment, or just burn some rods and end up with a useful chunk of steel instead of junk. If it doesn't come out perfect don't worry. No one will see and it will be all ground off by next spring.

I am doing my Fisher shoes. Used 6011 to welded on some 1/2" pieces from the scrap bucket.

P1160853.JPG

Filled the spaces and build up the edges with 6013 then ground it flat.

P1160861.JPG

Interwove a couple layers of 7018AC on top.

P1160877.JPG

New and old. You can see I could be a lot steadier at hand and my eyes aren't overly sharp.

P1160895.JPG

My wife came by. She said what on earth are you doing? That is a lot uglier than the stuff you usually make :)

gg

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #2  
I've resurfaced a few plow shoes by welding on some pieces of leaf springs or a piece of a cutting edge from a grader blade.
Al

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #3  
I put about 1/2 pound of 6000 series filler on to the shoes of the snow blower about a month ago.

They need a few hundred yards of rubbing over gravel before I'll show 'em off though ;-)

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #4  
I have a bunch of Ar400 so I just use that on plow shoes, hold up very well.

Ever thought of hard facing rod for the shoes?

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes
Those are good ideas. Hard facing and cutting edge pieces are good abrasive resistant things to use for this purpose without a doubt. But what the heck, we're just trying to do some useful welding here - for the fun of it and the practice. I don't need those shoes to last forever but I will get several years out of them.

On a side note - I have looked into hard facing. Relatively expensive compared to the cost of new shoes. I would buy a new set of shoes first.

gg

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #6  
I have a bunch of Ar400 so I just use that on plow shoes, hold up very well.

Ever thought of hard facing rod for the shoes?

Depending on what you get, that stuff can be very expensive! Some of it can run close to $100/lb. I used to use a variety of Stellite for parts that needed to be abrasion resistant (and have actually faced and tipped engine valves with the stuff.) I probably have five pounds left, which I'll use up on some critical job (not a lot of snow moving in the Cincinnati area, I even got rid of my blower.) Whether it's worth is depends on how much of a pain it is to remove those shoes; if a weld job lasts all year, I'd keep going with the cheap stuff!

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #7  
The only thing plow shoes are good for is if you have a gravel/dirt drive that's not yet frozen. Otherwise the 99.995% of plowing, shoes are just for door stops in the shop or an anchor for the canoe.

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes
The only thing plow shoes are good for is if you have a gravel/dirt drive that's not yet frozen. Otherwise the 99.995% of plowing, shoes are just for door stops in the shop or an anchor for the canoe.

You are right except maybe your 99.995% number is a way high. For me anyway. Where we live almost all the roads and drives are gravel. We only have one asphalt road in our entire town. It snows a lot before the roads freeze and again after they thaw. I run shoes all season long as do all the town trucks. I would much rather wear down an easy to fix or replace pair of shoes instead of my cutting edge or edge trip spring brackets. If the shoes weren't there it would be those other parts wearing away.

Just as an example this is our road. It is a mile long. You might call it a trail.

MiddleRd2.JPG

gg

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #9  
How well do the shoes keep the blade from digging in. I don't plow often (the truck isn't even running right at the moment so i never lowed last winter) and my plow doesn't have any shoes so I just go slow and I'm always adjusting the height. It's a 10' plow so I wasn't even sure if shoes would help because of the drive is only about 10' wide so the center hump would probably be an issue. But I would love to here what you've found out over the years.

/ Good Beginner Project - Build Up Your Snow Plow Shoes #10  
Those "new" shoes look like they will be very useful. My biggest problem here is just waiting to plow snow until the gravel driveway freezes up hard. I get anxious and then some gravel will end up on the sides of the driveway. Falling snow makes me excited.