Quieting noisy trash bin wheels

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I have a 400ft gravel driveway.
Part of the driveway goes past some neighbor houses and when we drag the trash bins (3 of them) up & down the driveway I often feel like it's noise the neighbors don't need to hear. When I'm getting the newspaper @ 6AM I like to drag one of the bins back to the house, but don't want to make the noise.

So I decided to change the hard plastic wheels to pneumatic. Harbor Freight had a sale on 10" wheels for $4.99 so for $30,,,, my bins are now quiet. And they seem to roll easier too (ball bearings). Now.... if these dang wheels will just hold air, it will all be good. Prob should fill them with slime NOW.

522329d1506031269-quieting-noisy-trash-bin-wheels-img_9819-jpg

They're held on with metal caps. Which I could NOT get off.
I could cut them off with an angle grinder but then I'd have to go to the store & buy replacements.

522328d1506031269-quieting-noisy-trash-bin-wheels-img_9819-jpg

Decided to just cut the axle & re-weld. Fast & easy.

522327d1506031269-quieting-noisy-trash-bin-wheels-img_9819-jpg

522326d1506031269-quieting-noisy-trash-bin-wheels-img_9819-jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9826.jpg
    IMG_9826.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 4,149
  • IMG_9821.jpg
    IMG_9821.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 2,805
  • IMG_9820.jpg
    IMG_9820.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 2,679
  • IMG_9819.jpg
    IMG_9819.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 2,936
   / Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #2  
I bought those same wheels for a wood storage cart. Slimed them right away. My problem is the loaded cart is too heavy for pneumatic tires.

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #3  
Those tires go too flat to quickly for my taste. I got the foam filled version.

But my big question it looks like your cans are city owned. I would be worried about them swapping them out, or worse some neighbor stealing your cans (we have it happen all the time, PITA).

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels
There's enough separation I don't think they will be intermingled, and they have the house-number written on them. It wasn't a big expenditure or effort.

At HF when you go thru the stack - lots of them are flat or soft on the shelf. I wonder what they do with those wheels - they can't hardly 'fix' them. Will one can of fix-a-flat would seal a lot of HF wheels? It's not punctures to seal, it's tiny leaks.

At work, they lobbied for foam-filled wheels on the handtrucks. Then bought flat-free wheels; $80 of hand-truck accessories. Those handtrucks don't roll as nicely as a pneumatic tire. I took the old wheels home and they've been holding (some) air for years. I should fill them with fix-a-flat.

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #5  
There's enough separation I don't think they will be intermingled, and they have the house-number written on them. It wasn't a big expenditure or effort.

At HF when you go thru the stack - lots of them are flat or soft on the shelf. I wonder what they do with those wheels - they can't hardly 'fix' them. Will one can of fix-a-flat would seal a lot of HF wheels? It's not punctures to seal, it's tiny leaks.

At work, they lobbied for foam-filled wheels on the handtrucks. Then bought flat-free wheels; $80 of hand-truck accessories. Those handtrucks don't roll as nicely as a pneumatic tire. I took the old wheels home and they've been holding (some) air for years. I should fill them with fix-a-flat.

I tried an expensive 'flat free' wheel on a wheelbarrow. It was ok when empty or with light loads, but medium to heavy loads were very difficult to push around. I swapped it out for a pneumatic tire and it now rolls easily even when overloaded.
I like your upgrade. I've used those wheels on several hand carts etc, and some hold air better than others. I add air occasionally, and they work well for me.

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #6  
If they go flat, scuff up the inside rim, add some bead sealer, and change out the valve stem core for a new one. 10min and they should never go flat again, unless you make them so.

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #7  
I wish my neighbors were half as considerate.

So much HarborFreight "rubber" cracks apart after a few years; how long will the tires last? Removing the tubes etc sounds like too much effort inputted.

I'm thinking about this stuff: 32 oz for $10.23. It should seal the core too.
Marathon Flat Free Tire Sealant Bottle, 32-Ounce http://a.co/05diWmV

/ Quieting noisy trash bin wheels #9  
This would also work. Might be easier to maneuver with the extra length for leverage.

IMG_3603.JPG

Terry

Terry that's for me to do - but this is my girls' job.:thumbsup:
But I drag them back to the house (with the newspaper).

I was gonna build a 2" receiver-hitch carrier (with 3 carry hooks) but then decided they can walk once a week.

But I had to use the welder for something, so cut the axle & welded it back.

Last edited: