Cutting torches - need help

/ Cutting torches - need help #1  

twosocks90

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF35 Utility (gas)
I have an oxy-acetylene tank set with a welding torch on it. It's the leftmost torch in the picture, the one connected to the hoses with some pieces of electrical tape on them :eek: I use that torch to heat bolts and such but it's not a cutting torch.

I have these two Victor torches as well but I have never used them for two reasons: (1) the hose connections don't match the hoses I have and (2) I don't know how to know if they are safe to use or not.

Obviously the hoses I have aren't the best. Someone put electric tape around them for some reason and it's probably a good idea to replace them. Can I get new hoses that will work with both types of torches? The welding and cutting torches each have different fitting sizes. And is it reasonably safe just to try out the cutting torches or should I tear them apart first to check for problems? I haven't used a cutting torch in 10-15 years but it would come in handy around the shop. I just don't know what's the best way to proceed here.
Torch.JPG
Tanks.JPG

/ Cutting torches - need help #2  
Electrical tape is a No-no.. There are 3 hose fitting sizes. A,B and Rail Road. You wont see rail road much. It's the larges one of the 3. There are adaptors available that screw onto a B fitting to go to an A and Vise versa.. You can also heat with the other two torches just dont push the cutting lever. I have a few mini rose buds that go on these Victor units you simply replace the cutting tip with the mini rose bud. I have acetylene and alt fuel mini's.

/ Cutting torches - need help #3  
Most torches have o rings inside that over the years get brittle, crack and cause problems.
For general cutting I usually use 10 pounds on the acetylene side and 40 pounds on the oxygen side.

/ Cutting torches - need help #4  
Good advice so far;we always used 7/30 psi for pipe work.Keep any oils away from your regulators.
I would check with a welding equipment shop to have your torches reconditioned.

/ Cutting torches - need help #5  
bmiszuk
The left torch is a brazing torch used in plumbing single stage middle torch is a two stage rig right side rig is a single stage (gas axe) used for scraping out steel can also be used for cutting yes you want to get a new hoses and add check valves so keep your tips clean and you flame hot.

/ Cutting torches - need help #6  
Don't take anything apart other than changing hose,putting gutting head on torch body and switching tips. Repairing torches is a specialized procedure requiring parts you will have trouble finding. Take everything you have,including tips to a welding supply house. See if they will give you credit for parts you will never use and sell you a torch body with B hose fittings,a cutting attachment for the torch body and some welding tips and cutting tips.
If you can't work something out to trade spare parts or if cost is more than you want to spend,buy hose with B fittings, B fittings for the gauges. That will alow hooking up the cutting torch on right. A #1 or #2 cutting tip is probably all you need for now. That set up will heat as well as cut but will not braze. If you decide to buy a new set,consider one suitable for propane/oxygen. That usually only require's type T hose and special tips because most gauges will handle acetylene and propane. If you plan on brazeing,stick with acetylene because propane won't work for brazng.

/ Cutting torches - need help #7  
Don't take anything apart other than changing hose,putting gutting head on torch body and switching tips. Repairing torches is a specialized procedure requiring parts you will have trouble finding. Take everything you have,including tips to a welding supply house. See if they will give you credit for parts you will never use and sell you a torch body with B hose fittings,a cutting attachment for the torch body and some welding tips and cutting tips.
If you can't work something out to trade spare parts or if cost is more than you want to spend,buy hose with B fittings, B fittings for the gauges. That will alow hooking up the cutting torch on right. A #1 or #2 cutting tip is probably all you need for now. That set up will heat as well as cut but will not braze. If you decide to buy a new set,consider one suitable for propane/oxygen. That usually only require's type T hose and special tips because most gauges will handle acetylene and propane. If you plan on brazeing,stick with acetylene because propane won't work for brazng.

I agree with this. The cost of re-furbishing these torches will be as much or more that a brand new set that will do what ever you want to do.. You have the regulators to consider as well. You don't need a $400 kit. The problem with torches is that for the money, They last too long. You can get a decent kit for under $200 and it will cut 4" and last 20 years or more.

/ Cutting torches - need help #8  
Set up a search on craigslist for torch heads and sets. You'd be surprised how manymreally nice old craftsman torches are kicking around out there from the 70s and 80s and they're really nice torches. I got some looking for a tank that came with it and he quickly replaced my victor journeyman set. The price is right too.

/ Cutting torches - need help #9  
I agree with this. The cost of re-furbishing these torches will be as much or more that a brand new set that will do what ever you want to do.. You have the regulators to consider as well. You don't need a $400 kit. The problem with torches is that for the money, They last too long. You can get a decent kit for under $200 and it will cut 4" and last 20 years or more.

I totally agree. I wouldn't waste time and money on refurbishing the equipment that you have. Parts are exorbitantly expensive, as an example, the torch head has 2 small O-rings(about 1/4" and 1/2" in diameter) for sealing the low pressure and high pressure gas connection points between the mixing barrel and the cutting torch head. My welding supplier had them but for $14. For that price I could have gotten a whole box of O-rings.

You can get a new Victor or Unibraze brand (Unibraze is identical to Victor)torch/gauge/hose set for about $200. I would bet that it will cost you more than that just to rebuild your existing equipment. You don't need a huge torch to do most anything on the farm. A Victor series 100 is small but powerful and will cut anything that a larger torch will cut while being lighter and easier to handle. You can add heating/brazing tips (just remove the cutting head) to these torches for about $60 per size. I have an 0, 1,4 that came with my torch kit and added a rosebud tips for my torch. I picked up the rosebud at a going out of business sale for $20 so I added it to my collection.

/ Cutting torches - need help #10  
Add me to the list of NOT sending out for repair. I sent my torch out because of a popping sound (indicative of a mixing chamber prob) and it was gone for a month with a cost of $140.

Since then I found two brand new IDENTICAL units (Blueshield/Air Liquide) on eBay $150 for the pair.

IMG_7294.JPG

Terry