New to welding

/ New to welding #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
I'm looking to get set up with a stick welder for all the small project's, mostly broke or cracked equipment on the farm that keeps coming up. It gets old to keep taking stuff off to be done when I should have been doing this all along. I'm not looking to jump into anything major just odd and end hobby farm welding. Can you guys help lead me in the right direction of a good but economical welder? Even older ones recommend I could maybe find used is fine. Feel like I'm in for a big learning curve here.

/ New to welding #2  
I learned on a cheap 200$ Italian made unit and quickly realized it's limitations. I then got a Miller Thunderbolt XL (stick). After that a millermatic 251 MIG and haven't used the stick welder since.
I'm not one to recommend anything to anybody not being a pro, but you get what you pay for seems appropriate. A MIG in my opinion is much more user friendly

/ New to welding #3  
BMan2005 I own some of the best welding machines ever built! I' am so impressed with my Everlast PowerArc 200 ST. It welds every bit as nice as my $4,500.00 Lincoln V350-Pro.
Here is what it can do with 6010, and 7018.

Attachments

• 200ST.JPG
    200ST.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 560
  • Best 7018 Cap.jpg
    Best 7018 Cap.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 520
   / New to welding #4  
I started out with an AC only stick welder. Finally got to "decent" on my welds. Then I got a MIG welder. It is so much easier and makes nicer welds. For starting out, I recommend a MIG welder. You'll need to determine how thick the steel that you're going to weld will be and get a welder that will handle that (whether it is stick or MIG).

/ New to welding #5  
If you buy a Mig welder, buy one with power! Mig welders are notorious for making cold welds that look good, but there not! :eek:

Attachments

• 220 Mig 1.jpg
    220 Mig 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 522
  • 220 Mig 2.jpg
    220 Mig 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 120 Mig root 1.jpg
    120 Mig root 1.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 120 Mig root 2.jpg
    120 Mig root 2.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 531
   / New to welding
BMan2005 I own some of the best welding machines ever built! I' am so impressed with my Everlast PowerArc 200 ST. It welds every bit as nice as my $4,500.00 Lincoln V350-Pro.
Here is what it can do with 6010, and 7018.

Can you weld 1/2" steel with this welder? I don't foresee welding anything larger than that.

/ New to welding #7  
Can you weld 1/2" steel with this welder? I don't foresee welding anything larger than that.
If you are going to splice beams or plate. With the proper joint prep yes! Fillet welds on 1/2-inch thick material, no problem with the correct weld size.
PM Mark with Everlast to see what kind of a deal he can make you.

/ New to welding #8  
How much do you want to spend? If cost isn't important listen to what the pros have already said.

On the other hand - there are always old 200+ amp 'buzzbox' AC stick welders on Craigslist cheap. I paid $50 for one. These were sufficient for shipbuilding in WWII, and after a little practice mine worked fine for my first project: weld a trailer hitch on the back of my box blade. I've done some other simple farm fabrication and repairs on heavy material like that. Everything broken that I've welded hasn't broken again.

Watch some Youtube videos before starting out.

I now own a mig welder and also an inverter unit for dc stick welding. Both are more convenient but I'll keep the buzzbox. There's one thing only it can do - I got an inexpensive used carbon arc 'torch' for it that is handy for heating and bending metal.

But if you want a big step up in convenience and weld appearance, then look at the modern gear suggested by others, above.

Typical project with the buzzbox: I added a flat plate to beef-up something that looked under-designed. 1/8" 6011 rod.

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70932&d=1312254019

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70933&d=1312254064

Last edited:
   / New to welding #9  
A mig defiantly works better on clean metal. IMO, a stick welder works a lot better on dirty metal and I'm too lazy to clean all my broken rusty stuff.

/ New to welding #10