Auto-darkening helmet

/ Auto-darkening helmet
HAH...Ureka.... or WHATEVER

A helmet sold by Rural King for $5 more than the Harbor Fright model has REPLACABLE batteries. Still solar powered but the batteries can be replaced. A lot of the cheaper helmets have non-replaceable batteries. Since I will use it maybe once or twice a summer and not at all for six months during the winter, and store it in a cabinet, the batteries would not last that long and the helmet would be a decoration to hang on the wall. And, as somebody mentioned above, I will take the batteries out after each use and store them in a sandwich bag inside the 3-gallon bag I will store the helmet in. So, no corrosion, no dust, and no spiders.

Today I have learned something!!

And since I have lost the center of vision in one eye I have become very careful with anything to do with my eyes.

Thanks again.

RSKY

/ Auto-darkening helmet #12  
Something you can do with the internal battery ones like the ArcOne (which I also have) is to keep it in a place where it gets a bit of sunlight once in a while, or facing a lamp or lighting that will give it a bit of charge.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #13  
I've had two harbor freight auto-darkening helmets for several years. I don't use them very often, maybe 2-3 times per year. They are just sitting on my welding cart in my garage. When I'm going to weld, the first thing I do is take the helmets outside and set them in the sun, then I get all my stuff gathered for the project out in the driveway (I don't weld in my garage). That usually takes half an hour or so. Then I put on the helmet and make a couple test sparks to make sure they auto-darken and then off I go. I still have two or three old-style helmets for backup, just in case the auto ones ever fail.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #14  
My auto dark helmet was made by Esab, I like it and it seems to be very good quality, much better than the cheapo models I looked at.

I think I paid just under 50 bucks for it.

SR

/ Auto-darkening helmet
The Klutch 700 from Northern Tool uses AAA batteries. It also has a "grind mode". Is that worth $10 more?

Dumb question from somebody with one good eye!

Anybody have an opinion on that model?

RSKY

/ Auto-darkening helmet #16  
You know, I never could get into wearing helmet in grind mode. A purposeful 20$ face shield is cooler and you don't mess up the front lens of the helmet. Plus hearing protection is a must for me. I definitely get being shy of solar helmets in your situation, though when they work they stay charged for months. My "good" Optrel gear isn't so good as the solar charger or battery went TU. My free Tweaker gear works like a champ though.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #17  
I bought a Radnor and rarely used it. I paid about $200 for it and I believed the internal batteries went bad. I pried it apart and put new batteries in it but I believe it has a bad sensor on the front of it behind the red dot.

It has never worked worth a crap. I wish I had known that it was bad sooner, I would have taken it back. It still looks like new but it is over 10 years old.

At work, I have 2 Miller auto darkening and they have replaceable batteries, a larger window, and work great.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #18  
I still nod and never need batteries. I did try the auto ones when I was working and they always bugged my eyes. The welding supply guys said there is a small amount of people like that. I don't get to weld much anymore anyways.....

/ Auto-darkening helmet #19  
Have a no-name auto darkening helment. I weld 2-3 times a year and pull it out of a dark closet to use. Never has failed to work. Greatly improves my welding ability.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #20  
My first helmet was the HF auto and apparently it was defective. I returned it after trying it a couple times and bought the cheapest Miller ($99 I think). It has been flawless and even better now with installed cheaters. I hang it in the window of my shop when not in use for a while to charge the solar panel. Nice and lightweight and I feel more confident than going with the HF but I suppose that is because of my bad luck on my first one.