Auto-darkening helmet

/ Auto-darkening helmet #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I weld something two or three times a year with an old Lincoln welder that was bought back in the seventies by my father. Started to weld on a bushhog a few weeks ago and the cheap helmet I was using had a broken lens. I have a couple of questions.

Are auto darkening helmets work the slight extra cost?

Are the Harbor Freight auto darkening helmets worth $35 on sale for somebody who welds two or three times a year?

Thanks for any replies.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #2  
I may get 10-15 welding projects a year and I have 2 of the HF auto helmets plus several non auto helmets and the HF ones work fine for me. Since buying the first one I haven't used the non auto ones. I think I have the better models because I think mine were around $45 with the coupon.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #3  
Reviews I've read say but the second tier HF helmet. Around $60 IIRC

That's what I bought and have been happy with it.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #4  
I never dreamed I would use an auto lens! Few years ago, I bought an ArcOne auto lens. The clarity is amazing:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Down side you have to buy different lenses for the power you want. Have no idea how they would handle welding in the rain. Thank God those days are over with!

Attachments

• ArcOne 11.JPG
    ArcOne 11.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Best Pipelinner.jpg
    Best Pipelinner.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 324
  • ArcOne Huntsman.JPG
    ArcOne Huntsman.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 325
   / Auto-darkening helmet #5  
I bought a $65.00 auto helmet from Northern Tool a few years ago but I made sure it had standard batteries in it (2 aaa) that I remove after welding assuring no corrosion. When I need it I pop the batteries in and start welding. I had a hf helmet that didn't work after the 3rd use and was out of warranty.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #6  
I have two Auto Helmets. An expensive Miller and a cheap one that I don't remember the brand. I love them both and don't even own the old style helmet anymore.

But,,,,,, if I only welded 2-3 times a year,,,,, I'd buy an old style helmet. I think you'll be disappointed because your battery will be dead 50% of the time when you want to use it.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #7  
I use a cheap offshore helmet and really like it.
I did however need to scrap the first one as it no longer was 'automatic'. My take is the battery died and no longer took a charge.
2nd is great.
My test is to flick the flint on a lighter, If the sparks cause auto dimming then I feel safe to go (weld). I determined that they incorporate a photo cell to charge a 3 volt lithium battery that powers those helmets, consequently I always leave my helmet in bright sunlight.
Frequent welding (not me) automatically would re charge that battery, hence sunlight storage.

/ Auto-darkening helmet #8  
Yes they work great . But it took me awhile to quit the nod .

/ Auto-darkening helmet
Okay..... Didn't realize they had batteries and I now see that most are solar powered. Since I keep my infrequently used welding tools in an enclosed cabinet my plans must change. I store my gloves in a large Ziploc bag (keeps spiders out) and was intending to do the same with the helmet. I will need to get one not solar powered or one with replaceable batteries.

Leave it to TBN to give quick, accurate, information from people who know what they are talking about.

RSKY