Welding Table

/ Welding Table #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I really admire the fabrication tables some of you have but I can't really justify all that for the welding I do. I did, however, recently make a small welding table out of a salvaged Craftsman table saw. I bought the worn out table because I have the same model and needed the fence and work guide. I stripped the guts out of it and added casters from a $8 Harbor Freight furniture dolly. When I find the right material I will replace the wood shelves with metal. It's pretty handy for welding small stuff and as a general work table.

In addition to the parts I needed, the old saw had a new fine tooth blade and the motor seems to run OK, although I'm not sure what the keyway will look like when I finally get the pulley off.

Table2.JPGTable1.JPG

/ Welding Table #2  
Kenny:

I have 5/8" round holes in my welding tables to accommodate clamps. You could most likely utilize the miter slot on your table to do the same.

MINE:
IMG_1352.JPG

I made a little mockup to illustrate yours:

IMG_3927.JPG

Weld a clamp body to a piece of 3/4"x 3/8" flatbar about 2" long. In order for it to work the clamp should be welded at right angles to the LENGTH.

If it doesn't work I'll happily refund your money

/ Welding Table
Clamp idea looks interesting. I will probably try it.

/ Welding Table #4  
Looks like you could also quite easily add bolt-on extensions to increase your work area.

/ Welding Table #5  
Kenny:

I have 5/8" round holes in my welding tables to accommodate clamps. You could most likely utilize the miter slot on your table to do the same.

MINE:
View attachment 528308

I made a little mockup to illustrate yours:

View attachment 528307

Weld a clamp body to a piece of 3/4"x 3/8" flatbar about 2" long. In order for it to work the clamp should be welded at right angles to the LENGTH.

If it doesn't work I'll happily refund your money

I am interested in your 5/8 hole clamp idea. Is there a nut on the underside of the vertical shaft. A cross section picture may be of value in doing something similar. Saves welding hold downs like I usually do and then have to grind away after.

Ron

/ Welding Table #6  
Ron. No nut on underside. Just 5/8” round stock inserted into a 5/8” hole. The table top would prob need to be 1/4”-3/8”minimum thickness.

As the clamp’s screw is tightened down the vertical axis of the clamp is tilted creating a binding fit.

Not a system suitable for OCD types as when in use the clamps aren’t perfectly vertical. *

*see my photo in earlier post

/ Welding Table #8  
Here is my version of a welding table for occasional use that doesn't take up much space. When I use it for cutting with a plasma cutter I arrange the piece so the cut is between the grooves.

Here is where it normally lives.

1.JPG

This shows the tubing that I welded on the bottom of the grating that fits in the notches of the cheap plastic Stanley saw horses.

2.JPG

Ready for use.

3.JPG

/ Welding Table #9  
Very nice! IF that grating is galvanized you don't want to be breathing the fumes though.....

/ Welding Table #10  
Very nice! IF that grating is galvanized you don't want to be breathing the fumes though.....

Amen. We used to call it "zinc flue". It's nasty (but not as deadly as cadmium fumes.)