Disc grinder thoughts?

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
Last week I had 2) 4.5 inch corded Dewalts and 2) M18 grinders. I killed the one older Dewalt and was thinking about getting a larger one with a little more snot. I was told that the 7" packs quite a punch, but is heavy and harder to manage. I also see grinders that are listed as 4.5- 5" and even a 6". Is there a happy medium here with a midsize - power /weight or just get a 7" for when the going gets tough? TIA

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #2  
Look at how many amps the grinder draws. 4 1/2" grinders have a wide range, from less than 7 amps to 13 or more. The 7" grinders are usually 13 to 15 amps. Unless you want the larger size grinding wheel a 4 1/2" 13 amp grinder is going to be pretty much equal to a 7" grinder. They are probably going to be based on the same motor. My corded DeWalt (trigger switch) is one of the 13 amp versions and No matter how hard I work it I can't slow it down. In the past I've burnt up several 7amp grinders (one used DeWalt given to me, a Black and Decker, and a Harbor Freight). The 13 amp grinder is bigger but that doesn't bother me other than the rare few times when I'm trying to hold the grinder with one hand while grinding.

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #3  
The 7 / 9-inch grinder is real nice for hogging out iron. The old Wild Cat grinders you can put the majority of your upper body weight on them, and they won't bog down.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Grinders.JPG
    Grinders.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 181
   / Disc grinder thoughts? #4  
I have two old Milwaukee 5.5 grinders... no complaints and got a lot or work... both with disc and also with cup brushes.

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #5  
I agree with Shield Arc. Pretty hard to beat a big grinder for FAST material removal. Pros and cons to each though. Best to have one of each.

IMG_3970.JPG

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #6  
Seems like I had a Metabo. 4 inch but really did the job.

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #7  
I have used 2 Makita 4" grinders for some 10 years (and go thru a pile of discs) with no problems so far.
Granted I do blow any dust away occasionally so perhaps that has helped.
Will also add that both were purchased at yard sales so who knows what abuse they had B4 my acquisition.
I typically have one set up with a wire cup brush and the second with cut off disks.
To look at them they both show signs of surviving WW2. LOL.

Big Barn (post #5) has 3 just like mine hanging on his wall rack.

/ Disc grinder thoughts?
I did a Humper Freight one like 15 years ago and never again. For the same reason I ended up buying extra grinders ( though it's nice having a zip wheel on one, flap on another and so on.) as they get rough and out of balance- not easy on the hands for me.

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #9  
I have used 2 Makita 4" grinders for some 10 years (and go thru a pile of discs) with no problems so far.
Granted I do blow any dust away occasionally so perhaps that has helped.
Will also add that both were purchased at yard sales so who knows what abuse they had B4 my acquisition.
I typically have one set up with a wire cup brush and the second with cut off disks.
To look at them they both show signs of surviving WW2. LOL.

Big Barn (post #5) has 3 just like mine hanging on his wall rack.

Piloon, two of those Makitas are over 20 years old.

/ Disc grinder thoughts? #10  
I gotta buddy who buys HF crap and wrecks em continually, trades them back in and does it again.
I bought a couple of Makitas. End of story. Buy quality once and quit screwing around.