Gate welding idea

/ Gate welding idea #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
Went to pick up some steel from a scrap yard for a cheap project and found two big steel post. So it got me to thinking about putting up a gate on a piece of our property. He had a large stack of the rectangular tubing that's used for shelf stands in Warehouse's and figured I could use this to make my gate. The pieces are 12 feet, I would cut to 10' and make two gate for a 20' entrance. My question, this stuff is 1/16" or 16 gauge. Is that thick enough to support it's weight 10' out from the hinge?

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_124256077_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171218_124256077_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 301
   / Gate welding idea #3  
Those orange pallet racking LOAD BEAMS would not be the best choice for your gate. They are designed for HEAVY vertical loads and because of their formed and folded construction will rust out quickly outdoors.

I'd look around his yard for something else. IMHO of course....

/ Gate welding idea
Those orange pallet racking LOAD BEAMS would not be the best choice for your gate. They are designed for HEAVY vertical loads and because of their formed and folded construction will rust out quickly outdoors.

I'd look around his yard for something else. IMHO of course....

Thank ya sir, that's what I was looking for. I'll abandon this idea.

/ Gate welding idea #5  
Agree that those aren't the ideal material for a gate due to the irregular shape. If you don't mind scabbing material together, one could make some pretty stout barrier arm style gates with three of them though.

/ Gate welding idea #6  
The pallet rack beams are tack welded in spots along it's folded seam. It will lose its shape (slightly) where you cut it to length unless you cut next to a tack.

/ Gate welding idea
The pallet rack beams are tack welded in spots along it's folded seam. It will lose its shape (slightly) where you cut it to length unless you cut next to a tack.

You know what they are for sure. I was going to run a few more tacks down it when I noticed that. Think I'm going to just find something else to use now though since you said they will rust away fast outdoors.

/ Gate welding idea #8  
I used some of those exact same pieces when building a shed a couple years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for a gate, just put the seam at the bottom and drill a small hole in the bottom side of them to let out any moisture that may get in.

As far as sag, if you put an angle brace from the top of the outside to the bottom of the inside of the gate you won't have a problem. If you do get sag it will more than likely be the posts settling in.

/ Gate welding idea #9  
Not sure what the cost is for the scrap material, but you can buy this 10' gate at Farm and fleet for $70, and it comes with hardware to hang it. I priced raw fence material (round 1-5/8" tubing) at a local fence place, they would cope the ends for me as part of the price, and just the material ended up being about the same price as a farm and fleet gate. Of course the fencing material was heavier gauge, but it was also galvanized so it was a pain to prep and weld. You would almost have to miter the corners on that scrap material, otherwise the profile of the material won't allow an easy way to fit the corners for welding.

/ Gate welding idea #10  
....As far as sag, if you put an angle brace from the top of the outside to the bottom of the inside of the gate you won't have a problem. If you do get sag it will more than likely be the posts settling in.
Exactly. If the gate itself doesn't sag, the posts settle sideways.