building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
been trying to build a 4ft pipe burner to heat a oil barrel, cut in half long ways, to use to scald hogs. we have been using wood to heat the water, but when scalding, the smoke gets very bad in my eyes. I have been trying to get a propane burner made, but cant get it to work correctly. I had a propane nozzle of questionable orfice size since I didnt have anything to measure the hole with. I took a 5ft piece of 1-1/4 black iron pipe which I cut 48 slots one inch apart and tried to use the nozzle with a 10lb regulator, but couldnt get the flame to shoot out the slots, it would burn inside the pipe some. I welded up the slots, and turned the straight pipe into a banana, but welding beads on the opposite side straightened it out. I then drilled 48 1/8 inch hole down the pipe and tried again, but the pressure blew the flame out if you tried to turn up the flame. I figured it needed more holes so I drilled another 48 1/8in holes about 1/2in beside the first holes. Flame kept blowing out if you tried to turn it up. I dont know if I need to drill more holes or look for a adjustable high pressure regulator

After all the drilling, I decided to change orfice size and drill the orfice out to 1/16, but that proved to be to big, I drilled and tapped the orfice to accept a .035 mig tip, to big, flame still blowing out so I tried a .030 and then a .023 tip. I can get a pretty blue flame, but If I open the gas up it still blows out. I am thinking I need an adjustable regulator so I can cut the pressure down, but dont want to buy one until I know I can make it work and I dont own a bbq grill to rob a regulator off of.

I need lots of heat output, but all I can get is a low flame so I need some suggestions.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #2  
What about using a weed burner set up and adapting it to be stationary under the barrel? They use propane fast when wide open and small tanks get cold as fast. I use an old motor home propane tank with mine for big jobs.

Ron

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #4  
Is there any way to adjust the amount of air pulled in around the gas orifice? I have a camp chef stove that if there is too much air allowed in it will blow the flames up off the holes in the burner and out. Try cutting down the inlet air a bit.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel
I am trying to build a burner similar to these, Lighting a Pipe Burner - YouTube. I just found this video a little while ago. They are using 1 1/4in pipe, a 10lb regulator and a #61 drill size orifice, thats .039 dia. A .030 mig tip should be about right. It also looks like they are using a lot more holes placed closer together than I am. As for using the bbq burners and weed burners, Not sure how well they would work, might but???? The goal is to heat about 100-150 gal of water in a barrel as fast as possible to a temp of 144f to scald hogs with. Then to maintain that temp while we kill and scrape the hogs. We do about 4 to 6 hogs at a time, one right after the other. When using wood, just the act of dunking the hog in the water cools the temp and we usually have to add more water, so it means a wait before scalding the next one.. I am going to try drilling about 100 more holes tomorrow and see how it works.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #6  
I think the air inlet makes a big difference as does the pressure of propane. If you're only using 10 PSI on the propane, turn it up to 15 or 20 and see if it makes a difference. It should help draw more air because a bigger flame needs more gas as well as air.

Last edited:
   / building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel
Is there any way to adjust the amount of air pulled in around the gas orifice? I have a camp chef stove that if there is too much air allowed in it will blow the flames up off the holes in the burner and out. Try cutting down the inlet air a bit.

I have been using duct tape to control the air intake. I can get a pretty blue flame with the burner turned down, I just cant turn the flame up. Another thing I noticed in the video is they drilled holes all the way to the end of the pipe. I started my holes 6in from each end. I think maybe, and its just a guess, that not burning to the end of the pipe might be causing some turbulence as the flame holes at the end of the rows dont want to lite or stay lit. It will take me a few minutes to drill the holes tomorrow and then some more testing, before I start the chunking it out the door.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #8  
We use these for EVERYTHING that needs LOTS of heat,,,

Using a Harbor Freight Flame Thrower - Item#9137 - YouTube

Harbor Freight sells the "expensive" one for $30,, they sell a cheaper one without the auto-lighter for $20

Propane Torch with Push Button Igniter

The guy in the video jokes a little,, but, that torch is great :thumbsup:

The trick to heating water fast is to burn LOTS of propane,,

The problem with the DIY pipe burner is efficiency,,
If you admit too much air to the burner,, you are heating un-burned air,, instead of water.
basically, the DIY is throwing away some of the propane.

Get the HF burner.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #9  
ALL YA GOTTA DO IS>Watch a couple of episodes of "Moonshiners".. all they do is take a piece of black pipe & use a sawzall to cut some slots & "lay the fire to it". LMAO.. Just kidding.. They make it look SO EASY.!!!!
I'm no expert by no means but I THINK that, A COUPLE of BBQ burners set on HI would do the trick.. Their holes & regulator are already matched.. They already took the "science" out of it.. Just use 2 or more..

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #10  
Used BBQ sets are usually found in garage sells, street curbs and what not. Rusted out ones are cheap and gives you the regulator. Buying a regulator at the store may not be as expensive as you think. A sleeve over your orfice tip would also help with the fuel mix. Perhaps a copper pipe and coupling would allow you to have some adjustment with sliding it in and out and cutting it off as needed. Also easily and cheaply redone if you miss cut.
The propane weed burner suggested above might work just fine and be useful for other projects. Keep in mind that barrel of water will transfer heat pretty evenly and fast. A barrel length burner might not be needed.