Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Been using the rosebud tip a bit lately with oxy/acet and having difficulty getting the flame "up to speed". I have to start with a little gas and then a little oxy as normal but have to progress in very tiny increments on the knobs otherwise the flame will pop and blow out. Can finally get a good hot flame only after maybe a half dozen very tiny increments of gas and oxy.
Wondering if this issue is inherent to most rosebuds since they require a lot of fuel.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #2  
open your acetylene up wider then slowly turn you oxy on . it may not hurt to clean the tip also.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #3  
I’ve never experienced this. I’m wondering if a regulator is either faulty or set too high. Try opening your valves at the rosebud handle and just use the regulators to adjust the flame- same process to light- just the gas on and slowly add gas and oxy to see if you can find the regulator settings needed for your rosebud tip.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #4  
Sounds like the regulator pressure is set too high. Look at the rosebud manufactures web site for recommended settings. They will be different than a cutting tip on the same torch.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please
I’ve never experienced this. I’m wondering if a regulator is either faulty or set too high. Try opening your valves at the rosebud handle and just use the regulators to adjust the flame- same process to light- just the gas on and slowly add gas and oxy to see if you can find the regulator settings needed for your rosebud tip.

That process seems to work very well! Was able to bring the flame "up to speed" quite nicely by simply bringing up the pressure with the regulators.

I never mentioned that the torch head is a Victor J100C LP. I assume the "LP" stands for propane which might explain some of the behavior with acetylene.

It's interesting in that the cutting torch or small heating tips don't present the difficulty with bringing the flame up to speed. I know that sounds counter intuitive as the rosebud (Victor 6-MFA-J) takes a much larger volume of fuel to operate which should make the adjustments much easier without a flame out.

6-MFA-J VICTOR 325-:)6 Style Heating Nozzle | TORCHTIPS.COM
VICTOR J1C Standard Light Duty Style Torch Handle | TORCHTIPS.COM

I did check the six orifices in the rosebud to make sure they are clean but that didn't seem to change the issue.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #6  
You could have one or both O-rings not sealing properly on the rose-bud. A leaky o-ring will cause the popping out of the flame like you describe. Take a look, if the O-rings are terribly flattened, time to replace.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #7  
....LP" stands for propane which....
Yup, liquefied petroleum aka propane. Lucky you got it lit at all. I've got a cutting torch and use propane, can't get it lit using an acetylene tip.........Mike

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #8  
Just a quick reminder, make sure you have "Flashback Protectors" on your system.
Some welding supply stores will have the damaged equipment on display.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #9  
Crazy dangerous to light a propane heating tip with acetylene. Please don't do that.

/ Rosebud Tip--Issues When Using--Need Help Please #10  
In addition to that, even if you get the RIGHT rosebud for Acetylene, you would need the BIGGEST Acetylene tank available (a #5) to use one of the SMALLER rosebuds SAFELY - check out the chart on page 47, lower right side, here
http://www.esabna.com/shared/documents/litdownloads/65-1308.pdf

Look at the acetylene fuel usage for their multi-flame heating nozzles (aka rosebud) - note that the medium size (#8) uses AT LEAST 30 SCFH - now MULTIPLY THAT BY 10, and that's the SMALLEST tank it should be used with.

NOT following this guideline will cause ACETONE to be drawn into the hoses - very much of that, and your hoses will develop pinholes - then THEY decide what you're gonna heat up/set fire to.

But don't take my word for it -

Fuel your safety knowledge - The Fabricator

Do yourself a favor; learn about what you're doing, and stay SAFE... Steve