SA 200 reliability

/ SA 200 reliability #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I know these things have a cult like following and you see a ton of them on pipeliner's trucks. Have they done a ton of mods to them to make them reliable or are they just adept at keeping them running? I recently picked up a 71 red face SA 200 with the round barrel and copper windings. F163 engine. The thing seems really simple and easy to fix but seems to always have little things going wrong with it. The carb probably needs rebuilt, the magneto ignition is troublesome, the idle acts up, etc.

I am not a welder by trade but do a fair amount of welding at my property. I have been using a trailblazer I have had for 7 years and bought this because I love the arc characteristics on them. Now granted this is a 40 year old machine but it seems I spend more time messing with the machine than actually welding. My original thoughts were once I was satisfied the SA200 was good to sell my my trailblazer and just use the the SA200. Now I am not so sure. Maybe I need to spend some time and money and go through the whole thing? I have even considered selling them both and buying a new Vantage diesel.

/ SA 200 reliability #2  
Normally as long as the f 163 continental is in good shape mechanically I add a Pertronix electronic ignition to eliminate the magneto, add the idler upgrade kit, carb rebuild if needed and you're good to go.:cool2:

/ SA 200 reliability #3  
I collect SA-200s. And also have a Vantage 400. I paid $200.00 for my 1966 Red Face. it didn't weld when I bought it. 15-minutes after getting home I had it welding. Just had to free the brushes. I've had the engine rebuilt, and the generator gone through. It welds like a new machine now.
Here are some web sites where your can get parts for you SA-200.
Bill's Welder Repair Home, welder repair,welder parts, warranty, torch repair, regulator repair, gauge repair, Lincoln Electric, Miller Electric, Hobart, Victor, Smith, Purox, Rego, Harris, Thermal Dynamics, Thermal Arc, Airco, torch, regulator repai
STUMPF WELDING SUPPLIES INC. SINCE 1952
Home page
Home - Welder Parts Warehouse
Fairbanks Morse Magneto Parts
http://www.lincolnlove.biz/index.html
http://www.cablecontrolkits.com/index.php

/ SA 200 reliability
Thanks guys. I ordered the distributor upgrade kit, Idle board upgrade, an a new zenith carburetor and an oil filter flip kit. Hopefully this will work the kinks out. I really want this thing to work out for me. I have drooled over SA200's since the early nineties and now I finally have one.

/ SA 200 reliability #5  
I love my SA-200s, they almost made a welder out of me! :)

Attachments

• 3 Boys dates.jpg
    3 Boys dates.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 2,709
   / SA 200 reliability #8  
   / SA 200 reliability #10  
I find it ironic that we are talking about the reliability of SA welders.

You mean the welder that is probably the most coveted welder that was ever made and is still working longer than probably any other model ever built.
Ironic maybe, but I can think of some other terms/adjectives.