Hobart Handler MVP 210

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a Hobart Handler 210 MVP through Amazon for 850 bucks.

Before I do, (I've researched Youtube and the InterWeb the last few days) would you guys offer any comparisons at the same price point and features I should look at before committing?

I want to weld light steel (trailer fenders that are not drive over),
1/8-3/8 mild steel mostly, farm/home kinda use.
Build a 3 point gin pole.
Add tire rack and toolboxes to my carhauler.
Add expanded metal to tractor brush guard.
Redo the winch mount on car hauler.
No plans to do aluminum but want the capability as ideas pop up.
And just generally piddle.

That's my projects off the top of my head.

I have some college classes, and exposure to welding and can do decent work with a tombstone stick but no Mig gas or flux core experience. Yet.

Most of my welding will be outside in front of shop though I can do it inside if needed.

Comments and criticisms are welcomed!

Lenny

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #2  
I have an older Hobart Handler, it does a good job on the thinner stuff but anything over an 1/8 I still use my old Lincoln cracker box on.
One problem I have had is trying to use the gas shielding outside is it doesn't take much of a breeze to lose your shielding gas.

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #3  
Hobart is a good what I’ll call a good second tier name. It’s made for folks just like you- homeowner/light shop use. It has a few different parts from the Miller line but been a proven design over the years. Typically the local dealer can match the package price when you consider gas, hood, gloves, wire, grinding disks etc.

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #5  
Lenny,

I have had my Hobart 210 MVP for about two years now and I have been very happy with it. It isn't the top of the line machine I guess, but I would call myself a busy hobbyist and I have run 40 pounds of wire through it and I have had no complains. The two big up sides for me is the versatility of a 120/240 machine. I do everything from autobody welding to 1/4" plate with it. And second is the price points, it is a great value. The biggest minus that I see is the weight of it, if you are going to be using it as a portable machine. It is a transformer based machine and so for it's size it is very dense.

I keep .023", .035", and .035" flux core wire on hand. For 1/8" and down I use the .023" and above 1/8" I go with the .035". And the flux core is when I am outside on the road. I do not have the spool gun so I can't help with that.

As for thick material, the machine will do 1/4" with a single pass weld, but you need to be using your best technique and optimal conditions. For 3/8" I would do it with a multi pass weld. I have done both, and as an example I did a large project last fall with all 1/4" plate, and for that I broke out the stick machine and used up 12 pounds of 7018 rod. The Hobart would have done it, but I would have had to focus much more on getting good position and good technique to get a good job.

Lastly, I bought mine from Blain's Farm and Fleet. They are not in my area, but they shipped reasonably and quickly. Right now they have them on sale for $800. I try to support smaller places when I can and avoid the 1000 pound gorilla that is Amazon when I can. But that is just my $.02. I can recommend Blain's though.

Good luck with your purchase.
R.J.

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #6  
Lenny,

I have had my Hobart 210 MVP for about two years now and I have been very happy with it. It isn't the top of the line machine I guess, but I would call myself a busy hobbyist and I have run 40 pounds of wire through it and I have had no complains. The two big up sides for me is the versatility of a 120/240 machine. I do everything from autobody welding to 1/4" plate with it. And second is the price points, it is a great value. The biggest minus that I see is the weight of it, if you are going to be using it as a portable machine. It is a transformer based machine and so for it's size it is very dense.

I keep .023", .035", and .035" flux core wire on hand. For 1/8" and down I use the .023" and above 1/8" I go with the .035". And the flux core is when I am outside on the road. I do not have the spool gun so I can't help with that.

As for thick material, the machine will do 1/4" with a single pass weld, but you need to be using your best technique and optimal conditions. For 3/8" I would do it with a multi pass weld. I have done both, and as an example I did a large project last fall with all 1/4" plate, and for that I broke out the stick machine and used up 12 pounds of 7018 rod. The Hobart would have done it, but I would have had to focus much more on getting good position and good technique to get a good job.

Lastly, I bought mine from Blain's Farm and Fleet. They are not in my area, but they shipped reasonably and quickly. Right now they have them on sale for $800. I try to support smaller places when I can and avoid the 1000 pound gorilla that is Amazon when I can. But that is just my $.02. I can recommend Blain's though.

Good luck with your purchase.
R.J.

+1

BFF is where i bought mine for around $800 delivered. Love this machine! I have done up to 3/8 on C-25 and I am very impressed. I'm a home / hobbyist at best but I use this all the time. Easy to use and very reliable.

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210
Thanks all!
I got it today and unboxed it and you all are right about it being a pig at 80 lbs. I was going to be smart and set it on my old HF cart then found out I couldn't reach the far side of the trailer I wanted to work on and had to lift it off and set it on the trailer. It is all there for sure.
I set it up 110 with the supplied .030 flux core wire and got after those loose inner fenders.
First welds weren't the greatest and I only welded over the old welds that had come loose from the sheet metal. But it stuck. And paint'll help.
I was running a voltage setting of 4 and 20 on the wire speed. Managed to get bacon sizzling pretty easily. But my bead techniques need some more practice! IMG_2278.JPG
That's the only one you guys are seeing for now.
Really happy with it. Got to get the gas and some of the 023 wire aforementioned and a 220 volt receptacle when I head into town eventually.
IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #8  
Crank up the amperage a bit more, that weld looks like it's sitting on top with little penetration. Be patient, you'll get it. Just because the welder sounds happy doesn't mean that the weld is sound. Check out weldingtipsandtricks.com for a lot of good, free info, as well as the guys here are pretty great. I got my HH210 the year before they came out with the MVP (dang!), and I still love it. It does everything I need, just make sure you run good wire. I've never had a problem with Hobart wire.

As someone else mentioned, keep .023, .035, and .035 Fabshield 21b on hand. Welding in the wind SUCKS when your shielding gas blows away. I got tired of makeshift windblocks so I started using 21b a lot more. Don't be afraid to burn through a few spools of wire just to practice! Every bit helps!

/ Hobart Handler MVP 210 #10  
I have that exact welder. It welds much much better hooked up to 240V vs 120.