New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
Hey everyone! It's been quite a while since I've posted here but nice to see some familiar names are still around.

Anyway...

I currently own a Lincoln idealarc 250 tig/stick machine that has and still does serve me well, I plan to keep it. But I've been coming up with some projects that I believe will be better suited with a lower midrange mig... namely some body panel repair and a couple bumper fabs (most likely 3/16"), but a mig in general would just be handy to have around.

I've had my eye on the miller 211 for years (even before it was an inverter) but now that I'm close to buying the newer multi-process welders are catching my eye. Long story short, I have narrowed it down to the same 3 that everyone asks about, but my situation is a little different... lincoln powermig 210, esab rebel, or multimatic 215. Tig is not really a consideration for me because I have what I believe is a more capable tig welder already and I don't ever see myself needing to tig weld outside of my "shop" (garage).

If I'm going to buy a machine this size then I might as well plan on taking advantage of it's portability if need be so I would like the ability to stick weld. (Although the 211 still isn't out of the running because I guess I could learn to flux-core even though I've never done it).

Ironically, if you don't count available rebates, Esab is the most expensive so I would probably discount them, but they do offer the ems version which is mig/stick with no tig, but no rebates available so the price is close to the emp version. Also it seems the esab is the only one that rates their machine for 6010, but it's not that big of a deal since I could just use 6011. The lincoln is the cheapest of the bunch, but honestly I'd just prefer a miller, not to mention that from what people say the spool gun options are better with the miller if I later decide to get one. The downfall of the miller is no inductance control.

So basically my 2 big questions are...

1. Is lack of inductance control a deal breaker? I use an xmt304 with 22a feeder at work and have never messed with inductance (not even 100% sure it is adjustable)

2. Is stick really a necessity? Flux-core could potentially eliminate my need for it in the rare instance I want to weld outside in the wind.

Maybe I would be best off sticking with the miller 211, but the multimatic 215 looks appealing. I assume mig performance is nearly identical between the 2?

I know I lied... there's actually 4 options.

Thanks in advance

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #2  
mike I don't know anything about the welders you mention.
Years ago, I owned a Linde VI-206 Mig welder with inductance control. With inductance control it is amazing the control you have over the puddle!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• Linde 1.jpg
    Linde 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Linde 2.jpg
    Linde 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 148
   / New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure
Shield Arc! Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is I believe that same machine is for sale near me on CL, how does it do on lighter stuff (body work)? Although the portability of the smaller ones is starting to appeal to me.

Also, to add to my post, when looking at the welders in person, the lincoln 210 appears to have a better drive roll system where the top and bottom rolls are geared together versus an idler for the top roll on the miller, though I haven't really heard too many complaints about the feeding on the millers.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #4  
That Linde Mig welder had a Mig 21 wire feeder on top of it. I built a lumber rack for my pickup. Out of 1/16-inch thick box tube. I used .023 wire, the wire feeder had a very hard time pushing that small wire through a 15-feet long gun. Now .030, .035, and .045 wire it did great!

Attachments

• 30$ rack.jpg
    30$ rack.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 170
   / New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #5  
Hey, welcome back Mike! I looked back and yeah its been almost 3 years. Time flies. Good to hear from you.

When I bought my 211 (transformer), I was considering a multiprocess even though I knew I would be Migging most all of the time. Now I want a TIG even though I have never tried it, but I'm thinking I like the idea of dedicated machines so I am not constantly swapping out stuff for different jobs. I say that even though I am just an occasional user. I hate set up time when I want to do a quick job. I will keep my 211 and probably get a TIG/stick machine that is a little more portable so I can learn/practice TIG w/o having to mess with my Go To machine.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #6  
Hey everyone! It's been quite a while since I've posted here but nice to see some familiar names are still around.

Anyway...

Also it seems the esab is the only one that rates their machine for 6010, but it's not that big of a deal since I could just use 6011.

Thanks in advance

Have you looked at the Everlast PowerArc 200ST? It is a DC stick/tig machine with a dedicated port for 6010.

/ New welder... probably multimatic 215 but not sure #8  
I love blue machines . Im in your shoes looking go esab. I believe you get more namg for the buck with these machine's compared to blue 215.
Though i may put my money in plazz instead and maybe watch for a used 252.

I have looked into everlast, but honesly even though I have heard of people having great things to say about them I just can't get over the fact that I see them as a cheap import. I know it would probably serve me fine for many years I just can't bring myself to buy one... just like I can't bring myself to buy anything but the most trivial things from harbor freight even though their tools have more or less proven to be adequate for most things. No offense to Mark or anybody that owns one... it's just my thing. Same goes for Hyundai and Kia, they seem to be making some pretty competitive vehicles now but I doubt you will ever see me behind the wheel of one.
I love blue machines . Im in your shoes looking go esab. I believe you get more namg for the buck with these machine's compared to blue 215.
Though i may put my money in plazz instead and maybe watch for a used 252.
Strangely, in this case, the Esab has the highest msrp, though with rebates it pretty close to the miller. But I believe it comes with tig torch and pedal so I guess it's not really a fair comparison, but tig features mean next to nothing to me unless someone can convince me that it is substantially more capable than my idealarc.

So does anybody see a big disadvantage of possibly having to use 6011 instead of 6010? I'll never be doing code work or I'd be looking at completely different welders. Also, I never use 6010 by itself, it is only used to tack or as a first pass to dig deep when I am welding thicker material, then finish with 7018.