Its like Christmas

/ Its like Christmas #1  

Evan03

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 580, bobcat 763
150 of 1/0
Will be 75ft worth of leads on my welder.
Short stub, 300amp tweco ground and quick connects at the welder should be here tommorrow or the next day 20180221_191537.jpg

Will be fabbing some cord holders. Box for hobart 180 and maybe hypotherm 30air. I used to do structural but with the companies equipment.
With 75ft i wont have to move my pickup much doing trusses and decking

Excited to be going mobile

/ Its like Christmas #2  
That's the size cable I use too - good balance between current capacity and overall weight.

The shortstub electrode holder is my favorite too. :)

/ Its like Christmas
I researched for days. Almost went 2/0 but decided 75ft is plenty of length.
Ive never used a short stub.

I priced 1/0 at lws and holy ****. Ill be like half into building my own with 25ft longer leads

/ Its like Christmas #4  
Cable is pretty darned expensive. I've got various lengths, all with quick connects, total almost 400 feet.

I'm just part time portable welding so that's plenty for me.

Got the majority used (cheap) from someone who switched to different type of work.

The shortstub I use normally is just quarter turn to release, slide in a new one without having to look at it.

I bought a cheap one on impulse once, sucked. Putting in a new stick they would constantly get hung up - it was too slow to "reload" and got tossed.

/ Its like Christmas
You run anything bigger ahead of the 1/0?

Im out pushing snow. Wife texted and said mailbix us stuffed full of welding supplies :)

/ Its like Christmas
75ft isnt as much as i thought. Ran some 6013 today welder is running pretty good, im running very rusty. I bought a tweco 200amp. I couldnt wait for the short stub to get here.20180222_213447.jpg
Also think i need to get a fine adjust rehostat. Or clean it up

/ Its like Christmas #8  
75ft isnt as much as i thought. Ran some 6013 today welder is running pretty good, im running very rusty. I bought a tweco 200amp. I couldnt wait for the short stub to get here.View attachment 541186
Also think i need to get a fine adjust rehostat. Or clean it up

Are you thinking your rheostat is messed up?
Sometimes just turning it up and down a few times is enough to start working right again.

When I use mine I turn the coarse range, fine knob and polarity handle through there settings up and down to keep corrosion at bay (in theory).

/ Its like Christmas
Mines got arc marks on it and seems to go dead under 7

Heres my short stub errr i guess i lied its a cheap best welds brand one just a turn of wrist loosens or tightens. Thinking about cutting some of tge handle lentgh off and dimpling the front part where ill normally be holding it.
20180223_212919.jpg

/ Its like Christmas
Dave.
Snow has been pestering us in Idaho finally found some time look at fine adjust it does have a break at 7% so everything below that is dead. Thats not horrible spot to go dead. Theres enough range on corase knob to make up for it. Ill get one orderd.
Also adjusted idle i picked my bobcat up dirt cheap because it was thought to have a blown motor. Low oil pressure sensor is open :) the onan has 968hrs. I did pull the heads and clean out the little bit of carbon. She runs great and fires right up even at 10deg outside.
Also shes not putting out 14volts to battery. Maybe voltage regulator but i havent found 14volts going to it so im not positive. I did find it can run for a very long time with very little drain on battery. I can likly run it all day and charge over night if i have to.

Hoping the weather gets warmer so i can give the bobcat a splash of paint and toss some Miller Fab logos on it.
Kinda cool simple logs that look like Millers and mach my side buisness name

Getting ready to make a purchase of about 600ft of drill rod to start building horse fence on my property