Receivers on welding tables

/ Receivers on welding tables #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
This would normally be something I would ask on welding web, but...ya know.

I am modifying a table I picked up for $20 into a welding table of sorts. I'm adding a 1/4" steel top and some reinforcements, but I also wanted to weld on a few receivers so I could mount vises, etc like so many have done on many threads here and on WW. Before I go too far with this...The one thing I know about the typical 2" receiver is that it is pretty sloppy. This is not a piston fit. What are people doing to make this a more solid mount for something you may need to wank on to bend, pry, twist, pound etc? Sure I could stick framing shims in there but wood is going to compress really easily like this, and would probably end up in splinters in many situations.

/ Receivers on welding tables #2  
One could drill a couple holes and weld nuts one on side and other on top or bottom near the mouth of a receiver and weld a T bar to a bolt to tighten up the insert and take the slop out of the set-up. There are also some devices sold for (or included ) with some hitch-mount bike racks that also minimize the slop, but may not be stout enough for vice or heavy work.

The first idea probably work the best.

/ Receivers on welding tables #3  
The one thing I know about the typical 2" receiver is that it is pretty sloppy.
Yes they are!:mad: I don't have any receivers on my welding table. But I've built several hitches for trucks. What I did to take out the slop, is make a plug / round weld at the front, and back of the stinger. Then grind the weld, until I have a tight fit.

Attachments

• Hitch 3500.JPG
    Hitch 3500.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 231
   / Receivers on welding tables #4  
Yes they are!:mad: I don't have any receivers on my welding table. But I've built several hitches for trucks. What I did to take out the slop, is make a plug / round weld at the front, and back of the stinger. Then grind the weld, until I have a tight fit.

^^^ This ^^^, and weld a 3/4" ~ nut over a hole drilled into the side of the receiver. Insert the vise mount, then lock it down by tightening the bolt you threaded into the nut. Works great.

/ Receivers on welding tables
The hybrid solution! Will S for the win!

Next question - I can find weldable receivers at northern easily enough, but what about "stinger stock"? Just 2" Sq stock steel? Or 2" Sq tube with heavy wall (looks like 1/4" wall is about the heaviest you will normally find in 2x2)

/ Receivers on welding tables
Ron you lost me there. Can you check your numbers and clarify? Thanks

/ Receivers on welding tables #8  
Ron you lost me there. Can you check your numbers and clarify? Thanks

I am sorry, delete all I said. I looked in the wrong reference book. Since moving I cannot find all my old stuff, still packed somewhere. I would look it up on the internet. I do know 1/4" wall is heaviest I have seen.

Ron

/ Receivers on welding tables #9  
My new truck has a 2 1/2" receiver,, so I gotta buy new receiver inserts,,,
I guess I can use the old receiver inserts for attachments to my welding table.

If you want a virtually slop free insert, use two receivers, and two inserts.
That will pretty much eliminate slop.

/ Receivers on welding tables #10  
The stock you want for "normal" sized RECEIVERS - is 2.530" OD, with .250" wall leaves .030" clearance for .250" wall 2" STINGER material to fit inside. (just standard heavy wall 2" tube)

The actual "receiver" material might be a bit harder to find, but the standard 2.50" tubing is a "HAMMER" fit in most cases.

This is what I did on my 580's loader bucket, then I have GOBS of inserts of all shapes and sizes - makes for a really versatile setup for whatever you wanna pick/drag/lift/push, etc -

DSCN1109.JPGDSCN1140.JPGDSCN1141.JPGDSCN1142.JPGDSCN1143.JPGDSCN1144.JPGDSCN1145.JPG

And some of the inserts - DSCN2877.JPGDSCN2875.JPG

Notice the trimmed back top edges on those receivers? If you have ANYTHING that's very heavy to plug in, you'll appreciate this tip. I have a vise that's mounted on a piece of 10" C channel with the stinger feeding thru 1/2" FB and full welded, whole thing weighs right at 98 pounds -

With a straight cut receiver, you need to match things up almost exact before you can let the receiver take any of the weight - with that top trimmed back about 1/2", you can rest part of the weight on the first 1/2" of the receiver, and THEN line it up and push it in the rest of the way -

You can do the same on bench mounted receivers, whether or not you use some of the other excellent suggestions for taking the slop out... Steve