Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #61  
How do you know when you need to change the consumables while cutting a large order? Thanks, I'm just curious.
When I start getting back to back shut downs due to ( can not detect metal ) code, even with cleaning the consumables after each shut down.
It can be as little as 5000" or over 10,000".
Overall the cost is so low per gross output, that I change them alot of the time before they go bad. Then I use them in my hand held torch.
I check last year and I had 20+ lbs of used consumables.

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #62  
i was cutting a new quilt hanger base for the wife today. thought id post a few pics and a file on it cutting. 16G metal. 190" cut with 21 pierces. my unit has a torch height controller.

heres some youtube links

20180408 121248 - YouTube

or

20180408 121408 - YouTube

20180408_121244.jpg 20180408_121645.jpg 20180408_121401.jpg 20180408_121626.jpg 20180408_121728.jpg 20180408_121741.jpg 20180408_123805.jpg 20180408_123927.jpg

Last edited:
   / Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #63  
IMG_0202.jpg
Walk in customer Sat afternoon. 3 1/2' tall x 2' wide.
5 min cutting time. $200 item.

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #64  
What tables are you guys using? I've been looking at getting one for a few years now and now that I have a shop big enough I've started researching again.

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #65  
View attachment 547893
Walk in customer Sat afternoon. 3 1/2' tall x 2' wide.
5 min cutting time. $200 item.

cool. i used to make brackets for log homes on mine as a side business..all cut from sheet steel so no certified welding required...but no one here is building log homes anymore. lets face it..there just too expensive and an upkeep nightmare. now i use mine just for small jobs and for fun. i do quite a few custom jobs for friends and friends of friends.

a few years back i made this gate . i even cut 3 notches in a 1/4" thick 5x5 steel post and powder coated it white to match existing vinyl fence so i could carry the 600 pound gate. it needs no wheels._MG_2001.JPG

then i made a man gate. i even made the notched side bracket that mounted to the lap siding to hold the gate. was alot of fun . i love making gates, but they take alot of time and are too expensive for most people. IMG_20150223_170738113.jpg IMG_20150223_170658372_HDR.jpg

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #66  
What tables are you guys using? I've been looking at getting one for a few years now and now that I have a shop big enough I've started researching again.
im using a Dynatorch table with a Hypertherm plasma torch system. mine is kinda old...like 10 years i believe. the newer systems are better, but i have no intention to upgrade my system. Ive done software upgrades every few years thru dynatorch, and the Hypertherm system has worked flawless the whole time. My table has automatic torch height, automatic crash detection, laser light tracer to check cut path prior to actual cutting.

cutting is easy....getting the art work onto the program takes some practice. I use both Autodesk CAD program and Corel Draw for basic work, then i have to export as a BMP and then tract the work with a program called vextracor. then its off to a program called Enroute that installs the cut directions to the work. thats all automatic, as it assigns all the inside cuts first then directs the exterior cuts. that took some time to set up years ago, but now is all automatic.

then its off to the cutting table.

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #67  
I am setup with a noon Wed cutoff time for Fri mailing. Last year bill at the PO, for mailing my items, was $16,000+.
Have 10+ signs order as of now.
Going this afternoon to measure for two 7' long x 5' tall gates, two 8' long x 5' tall fence panels and four 4" x 4" x 1/4" post.
Later today I have to cut parts to put roll cages on side by sides and someone is dropping off a sheet of 1/2" to cut into loader brackets. Looks like I will cut 10,000"+ this week.
Then have a 6' tall x 14' long frame, cover with 14ga and powder coated to deliver Wed AM.

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #68  
I am setup with a noon Wed cutoff time for Fri mailing. Last year bill at the PO, for mailing my items, was $16,000+.
Have 10+ signs order as of now.
Going this afternoon to measure for two 7' long x 5' tall gates, two 8' long x 5' tall fence panels and four 4" x 4" x 1/4" post.
Later today I have to cut parts to put roll cages on side by sides and someone is dropping off a sheet of 1/2" to cut into loader brackets. Looks like I will cut 10,000"+ this week.
Then have a 6' tall x 14' long frame, cover with 14ga and powder coated to deliver Wed AM.
yeiks.....im just tired from reading about all the work you have to do...haha. im too lazy to want to work like that anymore. The problem i have up here in north idaho is everyone is too cheap. they love the look of custom gates...but dont want to pay for the work. They want Beverly Hills quality work for Watts prices.

I just stopped advertising for work several years ago. Only do smaller jobs anymore. The machine paid for itself long time ago. What i really like doing is just to be able to go burn out a part i need for a small job whenever i need it. Awhile ago i needed to pull a gear out of a golf cart engine that was pressed in. my gear pulling kit i use for generator motors was too large to fit. i ended up making one on Autocad and cutting it out of 1/4" plate stock. worked slick as a whistle....

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters #69  
cut some 1/2" and 3/8" plate for loader brackets this week.
100_3888.JPG

/ Questions for TBN members who own plasma cutters
John,
I just noticed that you live about 15 minutes away from me, if you want your more than welcome to come up to my neck of the woods and try our my Plasma cutter, might help you to make a decision on what to buy???

Pete
Pete, that would be fantastic. I will send you a PM
B, john