Miami pedestrian bridge collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #141  
I like watching people respond to one.

An example is the hype surrounding the upcoming meeting between N Korea and us. :)

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #143  
We shall see.

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
There's an update over on Welding Web, posted by Tigatoo.

His comments are based on
FIU bridge collapse update: Photos show severe cracks | Miami Herald

Here's one of the photos in it.

HWY18MH009-investigative-update_Page_5_Image_0001

Last edited:
   / Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #146  
AFAIK, all these pics were taken before the bridge collapse.

HWY18MH009-investigative-update_Page_4_Image_0001

unname_fitted%20(1).jpeg

HWY18MH009-investigative-update_Page_5_Image_0002

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #147  
By the looks of those cracks it appears the bridge was starting to move a few days before it went down, I find it hard to belive that they didn't close that road after seeing that.

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
Hey, Cali,,, the way you linked it, you gotta be a weldingweb member to view it,,, :confused:
Oops, sorry. Last night a link to Miami Herald's photo returned nothing so I substituted Tigatoo's downloaded copy of it. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. Today the link works so I updated the post above. The photo is the final one in the Miami Herald article.

Looks to me that the measuring stick probing 6 inches into the 'crack' illustrates separation of Diagonal #11 from its attachment point.

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #149  
That would take a bit of poly filler.

When will the investigation make its results known?

I wonder if the "TRUTH" will ever come out?

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #150  
I wonder if the "TRUTH" will ever come out?

You'll have to define "truth." If you meaning blaming someone - no. The NTSB is conducting the investigation. They are precluded by Congress from issuing reports that include finding fault or blaming someone as Congress does not want the agency acting as an expert witness and/or testifying in court. They will only document the mechanisms that caused the failure. That could include: design, materials, construction methods, etc.

The NTSB is a totally independent agency. They are not part of any other federal department so they do not answer to appointed heads of departments. While most people are familiar with the NTSB's role in investigating aviation accidents, they have a number of different offices (divisions) dedicated to investigating accidents associated with: railroads, pipelines, hazardous materials; aviation safety; highway safety; marine safety.

They have investigated hundreds of bridge failures and accidents - you can find the reports on their website. There is no other investigative agency that can perform the investigation to the level of the NTSB, because if required, they will build replicas of the portion of the bridge that failed and test the replica for structural performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.