Miami pedestrian bridge collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
After seeing a lot of confused nonsense on national media I found an intelligent discussion of the Miami pedestrian bridge collapse, over on Welding Web.

A photo of the model shows the weight will be carried by cables - from a central tower that was going to be built after the decks were placed.

And a post saying the failure came after the post-stress rods (cables?) were re-tightened. One theory is that a rod snapped during re-tightening.

I haven't seen a rational, engineering-based explanation like this anywhere else yet. There seem to be contributors with an engineering background posting in that thread.

Miami pedestrian bridge installed on Saturday. Collapsed today.

Last edited:
   / Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #2  
In some parts of the world...engineers can face the death penalty when they are found negligent...I imagine there will be some back and forth between the engineering firm and the contractor(s)...

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #3  
In my opinion the negligence is stress testing with traffic going underneath. I don't understand that at all.

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
In some parts of the world...engineers can face the death penalty when they are found negligent...
Yeah. It turned out to be a true rumor that the principals of the engineering firms who built multi-story apartments that fell in the 1967 Caracas earthquake, were on the plane home to Italy before anyone knew their names. A 9 story building that pancaked was across the street and down a block from our Caracas office. Thankfully I was in the far end of the country - Maracaibo - when it happened.

Later analysis showed the 'concrete' was way out of spec - a gross failure of construction inspection indicating bribes were more important than safety.

terremoro1967.jpg

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #5  
Negligence started when the idiots decided to spend 13 million on a pedestrian bridge when there is a LARGE crosswalk/intersection less than 50' with traffic lights and walk/wait signs!
One student was killed crossing last summer. They are college students and they haven't learned how to cross a street???
How many would not have used the bridge because they would have to walk up steps?
MORE tax and spend!

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
   / Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #7  
why did they not support it in the center? pictures of the finished bridge seems to show a center support, if a support was indeed needed then the design was not to single spam the freeway, also why stress test the structure with traffic traveling underneath?

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #8  
This looks like a criminal engineering blunder. The temporary supports were moved to another place on the bridge because of the embankment and I bet that was not figured into the equation before it was done. An engineering oversight. I don't know if it was true, but I read that Roman engineers in charge of building bridges had to stand beneath them as the scaffolding was removed...

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #9  
Negligence or poor design?

"Florida's Department of Transportation says an engineer left a voicemail two days before a catastrophic bridge failure to say some cracking had been found at one of the concrete span.

However, the agency says the voicemail left on a landline wasn't heard by a state DOT employee until Friday because the employee was out of the office on an assignment."

The Latest: Caller reported cracks in bridge before collapse

more -

"A construction firm involved in this week's fatal bridge collapse in Florida was accused previously by a subcontractor of failing to properly design a bridge construction system after an accident in Virginia.

The allegations were made in a lawsuit that was later settled. A confidentiality agreement bars the release of details.
The lawsuit stemmed from FIGG Bridge Group's building of the Southern Norfolk Jordan Bridge in 2012. During construction in Chesapeake, a 90-ton segment fell onto railroad tracks below."

/ Miami pedestrian bridge collapse #10  
Negligence or poor design?

"Florida's Department of Transportation says an engineer left a voicemail two days before a catastrophic bridge failure to say some cracking had been found at one of the concrete span.

However, the agency says the voicemail left on a landline wasn't heard by a state DOT employee until Friday because the employee was out of the office on an assignment."

The Latest: Caller reported cracks in bridge before collapse

more -

"A construction firm involved in this week's fatal bridge collapse in Florida was accused previously by a subcontractor of failing to properly design a bridge construction system after an accident in Virginia.

The allegations were made in a lawsuit that was later settled. A confidentiality agreement bars the release of details.
The lawsuit stemmed from FIGG Bridge Group's building of the Southern Norfolk Jordan Bridge in 2012. During construction in Chesapeake, a 90-ton segment fell onto railroad tracks below."

Thanks for that link to the rest of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.