Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer
Thanks guys, glad you like it. Surprised though; not a single naysayer. We'll see what we can do about that.....heh heh.

Now, in use I've realized what a hassle it **was** having that centerjack blocking me from stepping over the trailer tongue.
Which happens often in a landscaping scenario.

545004d1521657376-welding-side-mount-jack-onto-img_1161-jpg

AND when the tailgate is perched on the center jack, EVERYTHING you WANT, is out of reach, cuz you can't put your weight on the tailgate to go after it.

545005d1521657376-welding-side-mount-jack-onto-img_1161-jpg

Much better now.

I have a car-trailer with jack pad that telescopes up and down with a pin. THAT is a nice feature, BUT a major hassle compared to the side-mount type that rotates 90* with a SINGLE pin pull. It's probably be stronger though.....depends on the application. For example if you had to disconnect a loaded trailer from the vehicle you (may) want a strong jack that can handle a side load for some conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 396
   / Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #12  
In my almost NEVER humble opinion :rolleyes: there's nuthin' "nay" to SAY; excellent job, ditto pics and 'splainin'... I wuz, in my "endearing curmudgeonly manner", gonna comment that you now had a "free cup holder" for when you're hitchin' up, but thought better of it (oops, guess not :D)

"For example if you had to disconnect a loaded trailer from the vehicle you (may) want a strong jack that can handle a side load for some conditions. "

I have a tentative plan (for if/when I EVER get around to my own car trailer) to use FOUR of the jacks like yours, probably beef up the stake pockets on mine and make the jacks "plug-in" - then, just use the FRONT pair for the loaded trailer scenario - and for the majority of times when it's EMPTY, use ALL FOUR and jack the weight off the tires/springs...

Of course, they'd ALL need to be fairly stout since the BACK pair would get used to keep trailer tilt to a minimum if loading a tractor...

Just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea, not sure that'll make it to the top of MY project list before I (don't) feel 'em "pattin' me in the face with a shovel" :confused: ... Steve

Just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea, not sure that'll make it to the top of MY project list before I (don't) feel 'em "pattin' me in the face with a shovel" :confused: ... Steve

Here's what I have on my "shovel list" for my CAR trailer. The main jack lifts up and down to load the corner supports. The support swings down 90* then has an adjustable foot.

545114d1521729521-welding-side-mount-jack-onto-img_1170-jpg

My list had them only on the rear corners (then Steve had to go and up the ante). I want them on the rear, and prob never actually put them on the front. I like 4570s ramp type but my CAR trailer has the hidden ramps that slide into slots, which are lighter duty, have some benefits too (easy). The trailer's only rated for about 8,500 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
   / Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #14  
Since it is a dump trailer you already have a hydraulic power pack, how about putting cylinders at the four corners. I believe it would be self leveling.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #16  
Since it is a dump trailer you already have a hydraulic power pack, how about putting cylinders at the four corners. I believe it would be self leveling.

I'd bet his reservoir isn't large enough to hold the retracted fluid from four additional rams.

Not leveling a dump trailer. That's Bukitcase's car trailer, which probably doesn't need leveling any more than a dump trailer. :D

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #18  
Nice job on the jack modification. I should do the same to my trailers. I've seen trailers that have 2 folding jacks on the back corners. That seems like less hassle than trying to raise the front up enough to make a stationary leg touch the ground. Don't forget about the potential of the trailer sitting lower once loaded making it impossible to get the pinned legs up.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #19  

It wouldn't work. You'd have to put equalizer son the cylinder or design the cylinders to be fully extended during use. In either case it's not going to self level. If you just plumbed all 4 cylinders together the cylinder under the lightest load is going to get all the fluid. I don't think they'll hold position either and the back end will compress when loaded.

/ Welding a Side-mount jack onto dump trailer #20  
"Don't forget about the potential of the trailer sitting lower once loaded making it impossible to get the pinned legs up."

This is why I don't like ramps with built-in "anti-squat" legs OR "jack-stand" types either, and why I thought of the versions I first suggested here - by making the jacks "plug-in" to beefed up stake pockets, AND the fact that those jacks can swivel up when not in use, you have the option of removing them COMPLETELY (or not) -

That would let you stow the jacks somewhere less likely to get STOLEN if you need to park the trailer (say, during a trip) - I haven't worked out ANYTHING beyond a "Bukit" list, but making the "plug-ins" padlockable is also on that list... Steve