Welding supply store

/ Welding supply store #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
I went to my local welding supply this morning.

"Can I help you?"
"Yes please, i need a new swirl ring for my Hypertherm 30XP"
After fumbling around, "Sorry, we don't carry that but I can get it in a week"
"Do you have any Lincoln Excalibur 7018?"
"Sorry, we don't carry that either"
"OK, I also need some "Outershield 71M MIG wire"
"Do you mean flux core?"
"No, duel shield wire"
Puzzled face "We can order but in case quantities. Maybe you should try the internet"

How does this place stay in business??

/ Welding supply store #2  
That's very sad, I guess the want to keep the shipping companies in business

/ Welding supply store #4  
Yeah, I'm all internet for consumables. You need your p/n but they are laser printed on all Hypertherm's consumables. I bought a 5 pack, (Hypertherm brand) for big savings over my LWS that doesn't stock or know chit! That was on ebay.

/ Welding supply store #5  
It feeds on itself. I was in Tupelo, MS wanted some 1/16 rod within a couple of days for a very small job on 10 gauge. I was blowing holes with even with 3/32. Tried like 6 shops, even the local Airgas didn't have any. Most places said "Well, we normally have some..." "order it online". Finally found some at Harbor Freight, worked fine.

Point is with the ease of the internet, and now with Amazon etc. same day delivery, it's often easier to order online. So the stores don't stock it.

/ Welding supply store #6  
I went to my local welding supply this morning.

"Can I help you?"
"Yes please, i need a new swirl ring for my Hypertherm 30XP"
After fumbling around, "Sorry, we don't carry that but I can get it in a week"
"Do you have any Lincoln Excalibur 7018?"
"Sorry, we don't carry that either"
"OK, I also need some "Outershield 71M MIG wire"
"Do you mean flux core?"
"No, duel shield wire"
Puzzled face "We can order but in case quantities. Maybe you should try the internet"

How does this place stay in business??

You went to Airgas didn't you!

/ Welding supply store #7  
I went into a local branch of a chain welding supply. Asking for several items forTIG, and one for Dual Shield, the salesman started asking me questions about TIG. He wanted to get into it, wanted machine advice. I'M NOT AN EXPERT! I'M A HOBBYIST!

/ Welding supply store #8  
A lot of companies make their money by selling to commercial businesses and large volume orders, rather than small time retail consumers. While at the same time their doors may be open to all, they do not especially cater to the general public.

For instance, selling to Harbor Freight, and internet retailers, etc., companies rather than directly to their individual retail customers.

Airgas is prime example. I am certain they sold more welding supplies in one month to the fortune 500 company I worked for than they did all year to all their walk in customers combined.

/ Welding supply store #9  
Back in the 80's there are many welding supply shops... not anymore around here.

Some were bought out and others simply closed.

Back in the day the counter staff was much more knowledgeable and the shop I liked was also a warranty station for Lincoln, Miller and Victor...

Now they sell granite counter tops...

/ Welding supply store #10  
Back in the 80's there are many welding supply shops... not anymore around here.

Some were bought out and others simply closed.

Back in the day the counter staff was much more knowledgeable and the shop I liked was also a warranty station for Lincoln, Miller and Victor...

Now they sell granite counter tops...

Yep, I have witnessed the exact same scenario, accept for the counter tops. Most likely, many more of us have too.