Metals art class

/ Metals art class #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
My daughter (35 yo) has toyed with metal working for a while so she took a basic one night class for cheap where you get to cut some metal and tack it together. Neat idea and the bonus was she sent me a video of her cutting and the end result. Steady hands for having a torch in her hands the first time. It was a great experience for her. I told her now she will have the bug and soon will be buying some tools. Isn't that the way it goes?? Will be discussing safety more in depth though. The video showed her wearing clear glasses while cutting and no gloves....

/ Metals art class #2  
My daughter (35 yo) has toyed with metal working for a while so she took a basic one night class for cheap where you get to cut some metal and tack it together. Neat idea and the bonus was she sent me a video of her cutting and the end result. Steady hands for having a torch in her hands the first time. It was a great experience for her. I told her now she will have the bug and soon will be buying some tools. Isn't that the way it goes?? Will be discussing safety more in depth though. The video showed her wearing clear glasses while cutting and no gloves....

I might have been a welder (retired), and I am still a guy, and always will be despite the ability to change in these modern times...yet I have always found women welders to be the best welders there are. They have incredible hand dexterity. Me? Oh my, I can weld because I shake so bad that all my welds have a little wiggle to them without trying! :)

I am not sure I would recommend welding as a career, but the ability to weld and fabricate has paid me huge dividends in my personal life. I am nearing completion on a Stick Rake now and have zero dollars in it, using stuff I already had kicking around the farm. I cannot even buy a Stick Rake the size I need, and even if I could it would be $2500 or more.

I teach a farming class on sheep, and I told the class that learning to weld will more than pay for the cost of the welding class. Good for your daughter for taking a class and learning something new. It will serve her well.

/ Metals art class #3  
I got bit by the bug a few years ago but don't have time to do much with my busy schedule. Tell her to keep at it, I do everything from repairs to some art. Sometimes gifts for people, too. This was my first attempt at a rose for my fiancé at the time. (Married now :))

And some gifts made of cut/bent horse shoes and some free pallet wood.

Attachments

• image-2127393823.jpg
    image-2127393823.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3481586864.jpg
    image-3481586864.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1349918660.jpg
    image-1349918660.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
  • image-2874702080.jpg
    image-2874702080.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 101
   / Metals art class #4  
I got bit by the bug a few years ago but don't have time to do much with my busy schedule. Tell her to keep at it, I do everything from repairs to some art. Sometimes gifts for people, too. This was my first attempt at a rose for my fiancé at the time. (Married now :))

And some gifts made of cut/bent horse shoes and some free pallet wood.

Very nice work!

/ Metals art class
You done quite well! I'm impressed.

/ Metals art class #6  
Sweet roses. Wife and I love metal art. We'll walk through a flea market and search it out. Have a donkey out on the front walk by the door :) Wife wants me to build some stools for our breakfast bar, and redo the frame for the glider on the back porch.

Guess I need to clean out the garage and get busy :rolleyes:

/ Metals art class #8  
Highly skilled manual labor, will always pay top dollar.
I charge up to $2 per min in my shop.
Also, Broken Track, said sometime about sheep. The last ten plus years that I sheared, my net was $100+ per hour work. When I was shearing Llama and Alpacas, it was sometimes over $250 per hour.
I used the income from shearing to cash flow the start up of my metal shop.

/ Metals art class
Whilst we are being creative, anyone have any cool floor lamp ideas?

/ Metals art class #10  
I'd like to know more about that "stick rake" rather than the artsy fartsy stuff.