Help me decide on a welder

/ Help me decide on a welder #1  

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
I would like a 110/ 220 capable welder. I want one that will allow me to grow as a fabricator from minor projects to heavy work if ever needed.

I used a 110 Lincoln when I was I was in HS auto body class and loved it. I now have a tractor and want to be able to add stuff and fabricate stuff as needed.

I am thinking the Millermatic 211 or a Esab Rebel EMP 215ic.

I like the ability to stick and tig but Mig will be my regular work need.

Let me know what y’all think!

/ Help me decide on a welder #2  
A list of want to weld will help in picking out what type of welder you should get .What type of welding do u have most experience in . Perfect 1 process type that meets your requirements best . Lots of good used welders out there .When u buy a welder there is so much other sh-t u have to buy don't shoot your load on one machine. Stick and tig go hand in hand .Mig not so much.:drink:

/ Help me decide on a welder #3  
J.Wal when Mig welding anything that can receive impact. You want a Mig welder with power! When Mig welding, you want to run as hot as you can, and still be able to control the puddle.

Attachments

• 220 Mig 1.jpg
    220 Mig 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 220 Mig 2.jpg
    220 Mig 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 259
   / Help me decide on a welder #4  
I've had my Millermatic 211 for about a year and I am amazed what it will do. I've been restoring a 1952 JD MC crawler and the grille screen is in bad shape. I decided to see if I could weld some of the grid back in place. This is very thin metal but I was able to weld it back in place. I was really surprised.

vrVBaD1.jpg

/ Help me decide on a welder #5  
I have a Lincoln 210mp and have had it just about since they came out a few years ago. It has been great. I compaints. Power it with a miller bobcat 250 efi if I’m remote and need big power. It’s portable enough to easily move. If I repalce it or add another welder it’ll be a miller 252 but that’s probably more than you need

Brett

/ Help me decide on a welder #6  
The first welder I bought about 8 or 9 years ago was a Miller 251, now it's updated to the 252. I love that machine. I might be wrong but if you have the funds it seems to me it's hard to buy too big a welder, within reason. I've built a few grapples, tooth bars and other tractor doodads with it.

/ Help me decide on a welder #7  
I've had my Millermatic 211 for about a year and I am amazed what it will do. I've been restoring a 1952 JD MC crawler and the grille screen is in bad shape. I decided to see if I could weld some of the grid back in place. This is very thin metal but I was able to weld it back in place. I was really surprised.

vrVBaD1.jpg
I assume that's the before pic.
Any pics of after?

/ Help me decide on a welder #8  
J.W. I have the Miller 211 Transformer model and it's all I need. I am a hobby/occasional weekend welder. Some day when I have more shop time available (retirement) I hope to get a stick/TIG machine but haven't needed it yet.

I understand the inverter model has a few features such as an on demand fan that might be nice, as well as it is a fair amount lighter and smaller making it more portable. Mine rarely comes off the Harbor Freight Welding cart (w/drawers). I built a framework that sits on top of that so my plasma cutter is on the same footprint.

/ Help me decide on a welder #9  
J.W. I have the Miller 211 Transformer model and it's all I need. I am a hobby/occasional weekend welder. Some day when I have more shop time available (retirement) I hope to get a stick/TIG machine but haven't needed it yet.

I understand the inverter model has a few features such as an on demand fan that might be nice, as well as it is a fair amount lighter and smaller making it more portable. Mine rarely comes off the Harbor Freight Welding cart (w/drawers). I built a framework that sits on top of that so my plasma cutter is on the same footprint.

I looked up the new 211 inverter models. They do look kind of nice, along with being easy to tote around. When on sale those medium sized harbor freight welding carts with the drawers are hard to beat for the money.

/ Help me decide on a welder #10  
I am very happy with my Hobart Handler 210MVP. It does what you ask with multi voltages.
This thing has just "worked" right out of the box.