New to welding

/ New to welding #1  

burzynsr

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025 / Kubota RTV500 / Bad Boy ZT Elite 60"
Hope everyone is having a good day. Ok, I received free from a guy at work (who had inherited it) a Lincoln 225 amp AC welder. Just can't beat the price so I am going to start welding. It is pretty dusty and just needs some attention. I went ahead and hooked it up to a 30 amp breaker (I have the 50 it needs), the cooling fan works. I borrowed a few rods from work, 6010's and 7118's. I know that the 6010's are for DC and I think the 7118's are for AC. I had an old spare tire rack and was able to burn one of each rod down all the way. Yes the 6010 splattered everywhere and the 7118 did leave a partially visible bead. Remember this is my first time welding so I was happy that I was able to strike and maintain and arc with a machine that might not have even worked at all, but it did!

My first question is what rod should I use for general welding with this AC machine? As soon as I get it permanently hooked up I am going to start on some scrap metal and see how big of a mess I can make. I will stop here for now but I will have many questions to come in the future. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

/ New to welding #2  
I like E6011 and E7018AC. My AC Lincoln runs them well and my DC Everlast does too.. The Lowes where I live carries these rods.

/ New to welding #3  
Sorry, but I'm gonna hijack your thread. But it may have useful information. Always nice to know what you can and can't weld.

My lady friend took my prized and expensive GRANT Steel D handle Bedding fork and used it to dig potatoes.

Aside from being all bent, which I can straighten, a couple of tines are broken at the handle. But they are all kind of inter-twined so if broken, it doesn't just fall off.

Anyway, for the heck of it, I tried to MIG it. No way, no how. .035 Wire. Just balled up.

Would a stick work? AC or DC? I know, it's tempered spring steel.

/ New to welding #4  
AC welders need AC rod. 6011 is the common rod that “digs”. This is “in general” for heavier utilitarian type welds. 6013 is “in general” the common beginner rod for thinner material and or where a pretty weld is needed.

With those two rods in say 1/8” and 3/16” you can weld about everything that machine was designed to weld.

/ New to welding #5  
6011 will do most anything on ac and its good for repair welding on dirty or rusty steel. 7018AC is good for welding on clean steel and is a bit stronger, especially in applications where welds will be shock loaded but it really needs to be dried in an oven. I would get a box of 3/32 6011 and a box of 1/8 6011 and learn to weld with that for now. There are different techniques guys like to use with 6011 so youtube will be your friend. Eventually you learn all of it and use what whatever technique makes the most sense for what you're welding at the time. Figure out the 6011 electrode in all positions, or at least flat, horizontal, and vertical. Then start playing with other electrodes.

/ New to welding #6  
Do a web search on stick welding electrode charts. They will give specs on the different rods. Also, if you're a youtuber, look for channels from chucke2009 and weldingtipsandtricks.

/ New to welding #7  
For what little I've run 6011, I really like Hobart's 335A 6011.

Attachments

• 335A.JPG
    335A.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 6011 Cap.JPG
    6011 Cap.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 288