Opinions on Less Expensive Welders

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #1  
Tractor
Murray
Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a dual voltage multi process welder. I know that Miller and Lincoln are the most popular welders. I'd like to go less expensive.

There are several welders that don't seem to have a lot of feedback after having been used for a few months.

Vulcan OmniPro 220. When it first came out there were many videos and forum posts. Most of them said it seemed to be a decent welder but we still don't know how long it will last. It has been out for several months. Did it last?

Razorweld 210 Multiprocess. Many people have said this welder is made by a company known for high quality. There are not many videos or reviews on machines that have been in service.

Klutch 200DV with spoolgun.

All of these are less than $1,000. It seems like many of these welders are being sold. I would assume that they are being used.

I would like to know about these machines that have been used for a while. Are they still working right? Would you buy it again? Have you returned it? What's good about your welder? What's bad?

I am also considering a Firepower, and a Rebel. The new Rebel 205ic is reported to be on the market approx. June 9th. I hope that when it is released that the Rebel EMP 215ic will be discounted.

I currently have a ESAB Multimaster 260 which I will keep. I'd like something I can plug into 110, as well as 220 when I need more power. It'd also be nice to be able to pick it up and carry it. I had an XMT 350 that I carried to jobs. I had a feeder but only carried it for stick.

I would very much appreciate your opinion on these machines.

Thank you in advance.

PS. I kick myself for not buying a Fabricator 211i when they dropped to $850.

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #2  
If your budget is 1k, just wait a little longer and buy the 210mp. I think I paid 1k when they came out. If not check out CL and garage sales. I love my 210 and if I was to get anything else it would be a miller 252 or dedicated tig. Nothing else in that size compares.

Brett

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #3  
I have the Hobart Handler 210MVP.
I flat out cannot be happier. I've used it on 110 and 220 with Hobart, harbor freight, Lincoln, and now INE flux core and it has not missed a lick. From 1/16" metal to a bevel edged 3/8" doubled piece, it has laid quality welds without any having to screw with it.

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders
I recently sold a Millermatic 252, and a Syncrowave 350LX. I am looking for something smaller, that will run stick and flux core. Don't really care about tig at this time.

I have an ESAB Mini Arc 130,. I took it to work and our mechanic used it to build a small set of stairs, replacing worn out wooden ones. Worked out great. My Multimaster 260 would have worked better, but it's too heavy to transport by myself.

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #5  
Hola! I dunno anything about the specific budget welders you asked about, and only have experience with stick welding. That said, around here there are a bunch of "second tier" brands of inverter welders that sell cheap! Like $200 for 160 amps. They aren't super cheapie harry homeowner stuff either, work pretty well and appear to last unless they get wet (don't let an inverter get wet). It's like with laptop computers where what used to cost $5k now costs $300. I think it's super cool that you can plug into a light socket and build a skyscraper with these little shoebox things.

At $200 I'd just call it a cost of doing business if it breaks in a few years, but I've had good luck with this neo brand thing so far.

So if you see a welder you like for cheaper than the bigger brands and of decent quality (think skil vs makita), just roll with it! The future is now, technology is cheap. Good luck!

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #6  
You might also look at Everlast welders. They are a sponsor on this forum and many people have used their welders with good results.

Aaron Z

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #7  
I started 40 years ago with a 200A Miller AC stick, bottom of the line for which I paid $130 and started to teach myself to weld. Somewhere over the years I upgraded to a bottom of the line Miller 200A AC/DC stick.

Then came the TSC $75 115V Farmhand 85 flux core MIG. Then roughly 10 years ago I added the HF 240V 151 MIG with gas. All have served me well for all my welding requirements over the years. If I were welding for others to make a living, I would consider "the best".......but I'm not and haven't lost anything.

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #8  
I’m looking to get my first welder, mig possibly stick as well for farm use and small hobby stuff, have 220 in shop and will be able to bring all work to machine so portability isn’t a real concern. Recommendations?

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #9  
I知 looking to get my first welder, mig possibly stick as well for farm use and small hobby stuff, have 220 in shop and will be able to bring all work to machine so portability isn稚 a real concern. Recommendations?
You might try looking for a used Miller Thunderbolt or Lincoln Tombstone transformer machine with DC capability for a stick welder. Usually one or two on CL reasonably priced. Nobody knows how inverter machines will hold up for the long haul. Not knocking them, I own a Miller 161stl inverter. I think a transformer style would be good for farm usage where portability is not an issue.

/ Opinions on Less Expensive Welders #10  
You might try looking for a used Miller Thunderbolt or Lincoln Tombstone transformer machine with DC capability for a stick welder. Usually one or two on CL reasonably priced. Nobody knows how inverter machines will hold up for the long haul. Not knocking them, I own a Miller 161stl inverter. I think a transformer style would be good for farm usage where portability is not an issue.

I've run several farms. A welder is never where you need it when you need it. Portability IS an issue. And the later tombstones had their own issues. And the thunderbolt is not what it was.