Newbie welding question about DC

/ Newbie welding question about DC #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
For Stick welders that come in DC only, do you have the option to switch between DCEP and DCEN? Are there many electrodes that use AC. Just have noticed a couple machines such as the Hobart 210i and some of the everlast welders coming in DC only for the stick welding.

/ Newbie welding question about DC #2  
A DC welder can be Electrode pos or neg. The welder will have lead connectors on the front that just 1/4 turn twist out (Dinse connectors are common). To switch between the two just switch the ground and electrode leads.

/ Newbie welding question about DC #3  
I just bought an EverLast PowerArc 200ST. It came last Friday. So far I am liking it much better than my old AC only Lincoln AC 225. Don't be afraid of getting a DC only welder. Just make sure it has the current range you need and a duty cycle spec that you can live with.

gg

/ Newbie welding question about DC #4  
Once you have DC you will see no need for AC.

/ Newbie welding question about DC #5  
Once you have DC you will see no need for AC.

In general yes, but don't forget the nasty arc blow that can occur at higher amps. AC doesn't have this problem.

I show students the difference with 3/16" 7024 at 250 amps. The arc blow can be awful at this amperage on DC and smooths right out on AC.

Don't forget about magnetized steel like hay equipment that gets that way over time.

/ Newbie welding question about DC #6  
There are several procedures to help control "arc blow" that professional welders use if it occurs while welding with DC current.

Who in the industrial world, welds with 250 amps while using 3/16" E7024 rods?

/ Newbie welding question about DC #7  
I love 7024. If I were building something from heavy plate it's what I would use again.. Makes beautiful big welds with a big rod and plenty of amps.

I've never seen much difference between DC and AC as far as weld quality. Maybe for pipeline welding or something special it makes a difference.

/ Newbie welding question about DC #8  
I love 7024. If I were building something from heavy plate it's what I would use again.. Makes beautiful big welds with a big rod and plenty of amps.

I've never seen much difference between DC and AC as far as weld quality. Maybe for pipeline welding or something special it makes a difference.

I like it too :)
I was filling a large hole in 1-1/2" thick plate with mig.
Then I remembered I had big rods on the shelf - fast and smooth :D

I like both AC and DC.
Like you said - welds turn out pretty much the same.
I just turn the amps up a little when on AC.