want mig welder, which one to get

/ want mig welder, which one to get #31  
I ran a 120v MIG welder for years on generators with 3200 running watts, and it can weld up to 3/16". A modern 120V MIG will weld 3/16" with absolutely NO problem. Very nicely. Here's a 120v MIG project:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/355190-moved-trailer-jack-so-tailgate.html

For a 240v welder on a generator, you need at least 7,000 running watts to weld 3/8" steel (at 240v). If you plug a 120v welder into a 240v generator you are only using HALF the generator. So you only get half the watts. So if the generator is 7,000 watts, out of the 120v plug you only get 3500 watts. 3500 watts is enough for 3/16" steel. If you want to weld 1/4" steel with a 120v MIG you need an 8,000 watt generator (to get 4,000 at 120v). Got it? This is generator talk, not plugged into the grid.

So, if you are running in a generator, get a 240v welder so you can use the whole generator. A 120/240v (dual voltage) welder is a great feature though.

If you get a machine with 20% Duty cycle its plenty. It will never shut down on you. And you'll never actually meet someone who has ever had a duty cycle problem. On the internet everyone's a pro welder, every job a pro situation, boss crackin' the whip, max thickness metal, max amps, max speed etc. In reality that situation is pretty sparse. These fellas are welding cracks in their lawnmower decks, and burning holes. Duty cycle ain't a concern, its just internet talk, you'll never see it in real life. Especially as a beginner. If you ever turn pro, well you'll have pro eqpt, andwon't have to discuss duty cycle there either. Basically if you never again utter the words "duty cycle" you will never need to. Unless buying $89 harbor freight welders.

Get an everlast PowerMIG 140E if 120v. Or next size up with 120/240. Any used Miller, Hobart Lincoln MIG will do you fine. Around $500 the 120v MIGs are good. 240v is a little higher but they weld great and last forever.

/ want mig welder, which one to get
i am using a lifan platinum pro 8750 generator that is what i will be running the mig off of. got my eye on the everlast power mig 2oo in 120/240.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #33  
I hate 120 volt welders. Duty cycle is a real and major issue the average hobbyist/farm welderwill run into with one. I had one as my only mig for a couple of years and nearly every time I used it I hit the limit and it cut off and I had to wait for it to cool. Very frustrating when trying to get something done.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #34  
I hate 120 volt welders. Duty cycle is a real and major issue the average hobbyist/farm welderwill run into with one. I had one as my only mig for a couple of years and nearly every time I used it I hit the limit and it cut off and I had to wait for it to cool. Very frustrating when trying to get something done.

That's why a 110v/220v machine is a nice unit to cover you when you might not be looking to weld in the comfort of your shop. I don't need a beast permanently on my truck, and I also might need a 110v out in the field repair or neighbor's place. Primarily it sits proudly in the garage running on 220v but I got options! :D

/ want mig welder, which one to get #35  
You will get good advise here from experienced welders, hobbyists, and professionals. Welding is a skill. It's not difficult to weld. It is a skill to weld good and understand the processes involved. It takes some practice and time.

I was taught how to stick weld and cut metals with an oxy-acetylene torch by my father when I was a pup. If you are only going to work on heavy farm implements go stick. For lighter go mig or flux core.

Budget comes into play. You can get by with a Lincoln tombstone for stick and a decent 220V mig. Those will do anything you need other than tig or aluminum. I have $125 in a used Lincoln Tombstone and $150 in a used (cough cough) Harbor Freight Chicago 180 mig. I can do anything I need here on the farm with those two welders. If I was doing more than just repairs I would get a better machine in a Lincoln, Miller, or Everlast.

Just an honest opinion from an old guy.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #36  

I'm with you. Owned a 120v mig and standard 240v stick for several years before I finally got frustrated enough with the little mig to upgrade.
This was in the 90's. I had duty cycle issues and got tired of waiting and having to revert back to stick.
Brother sold his 120v mig after constantly waiting for it to cool in the summer. No overheat problems in the winter of course :)

That's why a 110v/220v machine is a nice unit to cover you when you might not be looking to weld in the comfort of your shop. I don't need a beast permanently on my truck, and I also might need a 110v out in the field repair or neighbor's place. Primarily it sits proudly in the garage running on 220v but I got options! :D

I agree, dual voltage or single voltage, small machines have their place. :)

/ want mig welder, which one to get #37  

Yes options are good. I will admit the 120 volt mig I am referencing in my example was back in the 90’s but it was a top of the line Lincoln at the time. I still have memories of fighting with that thing though. Opening up the case, pointing fans at it, etc.

The average person doesn’t need a high end welder and truthfully without honed skills it probably would make little difference for them anyway. There is a huge difference though in 120 vs 240 in terms of performance.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #38  
A lot of the concern about 110 volt welders is based off of transformer welders and not the more efficient inverters.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #39  
A lot of the concern about 110 volt welders is based off of transformer welders and not the more efficient inverters.
I ran this endurance test with an Everlast 120-volt Mig welder. On a 15-amp breaker.

Attachments

• En!.JPG
    En!.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 107
  • En 2.JPG
    En 2.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 113
  • En 3.JPG
    En 3.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 110