want mig welder, which one to get

/ want mig welder, which one to get #1  

frogg

Tractor
john deere
hi to all just joined this day,

i am no welder maybe would qualify as a gorilla welder, but i do like to make stuff for me on the mini farm. any suggestions for a mig welder, 120 or 120/220 or 220.

i have a 220 stick welder that i use, but now i want to get a mig. i know there is a lot to choose from & i am lost so i`ll ask the folks that use them for advise.

thanks, frogg

/ want mig welder, which one to get #2  
frogg I've been very happy with my Lincoln V350-Pro, and LF-74 wire feeder. 425-amps of pure joy. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Set.jpg
    Set.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 419
  • 220 Mig 1.jpg
    220 Mig 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 220 Mig 2.jpg
    220 Mig 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 329
   / want mig welder, which one to get #3  
Have you been able to master the stick process or are you hoping to go to mig so its easier? If you dont have the fundamentals of stick figured out then you値l have even more problems with mig. You need control over the puddle, edge and penetration. Bassically, if you can lay a bead on the flat that doesnt look like bird poop, then you are ready to graduateto mig.

On to your question... With mig welders, you definetly get what you pay for. Unless you are ONLY doing body work, you値l need a 220 machine. Those 110 welders can稚 weld 10g and get any penetration. You might be thinking new, but you値l need at least $1500 to get a decent machine. Good ones are north of $2k. Personally, i think you can buy more machine for less money if you buy used. I致e run Esabç—´ in the past and theyæ±*e ok, but expensive to get parts for. Stay away from the Rebel series. A Lincoln or Miller 200 from the early 80ç—´ will be simple, reliable farm welder that will fit a reasonable budget.and still have enough power to weld 3/8? PowCons can be found supper cheap, and theyæ±*e excellent power supplies, but you値lhave to accept that repair parts are not available.

If you want to buy new, stay away from the Taiwan and Chinese stuff, but many on this forum like the green brand.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #4  
I do all my own welding around the ranch. Do you have DC on yours or is it just all AC buzz box. All I use is a little 135 Hobart And my go to machine my Lincoln AC/DC tombstone. I have to say I still do more with the tombstone just because it’s easier to grab the rod I need then it is to change schools on the small unit. I do like that DC function though and use it for just about everything when I’m using the big one which makes a difference. With that small Mig I really only use the wire feed anymore and found I can do sheet-metal with it to suit my needs and not even touch the gas. Of course that came after Airgas gouged me that last time for $100 to fill a 90 CF cylinder. After that I pretty much swore off the gas completely. I really only use the wire feed anymore and found I can do sheet metal with it to suit as my needs and not even touch the gas. Then of course I don’t mind taking the time to just use the brush and I’m not concerned about taking the time to smooth it out with the grinder isn’t an issue either but that’s just me. Poor as I am with the wire feed I can do a car panel with .30 wire and make a decent job of it.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #5  
A lot of folks have got a Miller 211 which is rated for thin sheet metal up to 3/8". I've had mine for two or three years. Works fine. Price is about $1200. There are lots of threads on this topic right here on TBN you can do a search and learn a lot.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #6  
I've had my Millermatic 211 for a little over a year. It's the inverter type, so it's light weight (38lbs) and dual voltage. I use it on 220v most of the time, but it's nice to know if I have to take it somewhere without 220v I can. The auto set feature works spot on. I got mine through Cyberweld and they had a $50 discount and I got a Jackson auto darkening helmet for free, which makes a world of difference.

I was never much of a welder with the old tombstone Lincoln stick welder, but with this I've done Fromm 22ga to 3/8" and am getting pretty good at it. I actually enjoy welding with it.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #7  
Well if you get a 115 volt unit for the $400 to $450 range (Hobart 140 Handler or something similar). Consider that a dandy tool for 24 gauge up to 1/8" metal thickness. You might be able to sqeak to 3/16" thickness using flux core in a pinch. You will still have to use your current stick welder for anything over 1/8" thick metal though.

If you want the capability to weld thicker metal then you gotta spend more $. Hobart 210MVP is dual voltage so will operate on 115 volt or 230 volt but about 80 lbs in weight so heavy but claw hammer reliable and simple. About $800 if you catch a sale at Blaines farm and fleet and free shipped to your door to boot and it is on sale right now. Everlast also has a simple relatively lightweight inverter for about $700 that is dual voltage also. The inverter will be lighter in weight but as for the claw hammer like reliability who knows as only time will tell but it does have a 5 yr warranty. Consider these units good for 24 gauge up to 3/8" thick maybe 7/16" thick metal in a pinch.

If you want a welder you will never outgrow then the Hobart 230 Ironman is a dandy but you are now talking $1500 and it is 230 volt only but performs with welders costing nearly double its price.

Of course there are even better fancier welding units than these and they will cost even more coin, but not really sure a hobby type rancher welder needs to throw money like that away for limited use on a small ranch.

I myself use a Lincoln model SP-135P which is a 115 volt unit. It is great up to about 1/8" thick metal and is quite portable. I can squeak up to 3/16" using flux core in a pinch. I have had it for well over a decade and not one issue. I use my 230 volt stick welders for anything thicker though and especially when the metal is dirty rusty nasty. If I was buying today and had it existed about 14 years ago when I bought my Lincoln then I would instead have a Hobart 210 MVP for the added capability that the 230 volt input offers yet still be portable enough to throw in truck drive to a buddies and do a small repair on a drop cord using 115 volt. I prefer claw hammer reliability and simpleness in something that I am not making my living with.

Last edited:
   / want mig welder, which one to get #8  
Lincoln, Miller or Everlast (just got one of their plasma cutters, so now I'm a fan)

220 Vac only (120, just don't)

Infinite heat adjustment, it's well worth it.

I have had my Lincoln SP-175Plus since 1999, it has served me well during those years. The "Plus" means that it has infinite heat adjustment. I despise the 4-5 click ranges on most Migs (or stick for that matter). What you need and what you want is almost always between two clicks.

Good luck!

/ want mig welder, which one to get #9  
Lincoln, Miller or Everlast (just got one of their plasma cutters, so now I'm a fan)

220 Vac only (120, just don't)

Infinite heat adjustment, it's well worth it.

I have had my Lincoln SP-175Plus since 1999, it has served me well during those years. The "Plus" means that it has infinite heat adjustment. I despise the 4-5 click ranges on most Migs (or stick for that matter). What you need and what you want is almost always between two clicks.

Good luck!

I agree clicks can be more troubsome on a stick welder. However the wire speed is what gives you the majority of the heat adjustment on a wire feeder and that is always infinitely adjustable. As long as there are many clicks on the voltage taps it is not that big of deal for a hobbyist level welder and in many cases results in easier set-up for a greenhorn like me to use. Sure infinitely adjustable on the volts is better here too, but is it worth another $400 or so to obtain it then only the buyer can determine that. My Lincoln is a P suffix model but I tweak the wire speed way more than I ever do the voltage even though I have the capaibility to infinitely tweak the voltage as well.

Hobart 210 MVP at $800 or the old Miller 210/211 transformer equivalent dual voltage at $1200 then I take the Hobart everytime even with the taps as it has plenty of them. These were essientally the same welder in capability and even the internals as they went down the same assembly lines.

However if this feature is important the Everlast does offer infinite adjustability on the voltage.

/ want mig welder, which one to get
a lot of info. to digest;

shield arc, appears you have been welding professionally for quite some time with much better equip. than i could afford.

cord. no, as i said i am a gorilla welder i have mastered nothing & probably won`t just like to play around with my stuff. no body work, i do most like to weld 1/8 up seems the thicker the metal more i can get away with, 1500.00 or 1000.00 is more than i am willing to pay at this time are not all or most of the mig welders chinese or some foreign country made.

drizler, i have a 220 volt inverter stick welder for about 3 years it is light & i want to stay with inverter mig.

ftg-o5, that is something i want to get is a plasma cutter. i have been watching a lot of videos on utube about mig welding & plasma cutters.

thank you, all for the great info. 220 volt looks like the way to go. i will check the sites & welders mentioned .

any more info. on welders & plasma cutters ?? will be greatly appreciated.

thank you all very much. frogg