Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ?

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #1  

DHD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I do not weld but thought this would be a good place to ask about angle grinders.

I'm looking for my first angle grinder and originally thought a variable speed a/g would be better than a single speed, but do I really need variable speed ?

I'd use the a/g to cut off steel (probably 1/4" thickness or less), sand rough metal edges, and wire brush paint from steel.
I'd also sharpen mower blades for my 72" rear mount finish mower (3 big blades) and two 42" deck (3 blades each) from my rider mowers.
and there's probably other jobs I've over looked.

I'm considering either the Makita 9565PCV variable speed
or Metabo WP9-115.

Makita 9565PCV
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9565PC...70_&dpSrc=srch

Metabo WP9-115
Metabo WP9-115 Quick 8.5 Amp 1, 5 rpm Angle Grinder with Non-locking Paddle Switch, 4 1/2" - - Amazon.com

What do you suggest ?
thank you

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #2  
I don稚 think you need that. I致e only used fixed speed grinders so far and never felt like I needed it. I have a cheap $50 grinder from Canadiantire which was an sale for half price and am very happy with it.
But then again I guess it is all personal preference...

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #3  
Two things I like on an angle grinder are paddle switch and easily adjusted guard, not a big need for a slower speed. I like and own the one below but have 4 other brands/models. At the savings you can buy 2 or 3 of them and have a different disk on each one which is a big plus. So nice to have them all there, just grab what you need but this one is my favorite. One for cut-off disk, grinder and flap disk.

PORTER-CABLE PC6�TPAG 7-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder/Cut Off Tool - Power Angle Grinders - Amazon.com

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #4  
I splurged a year ago and bought a Milwaukee 5" variable speed grinder. I like to slow it down for a wire brush. So much better than the HF grinders I have, but cost a lot more too. The wire brush is the only thing I can see any reason to slow it down. I haven't used flap wheels, don't know if they would benefit from slower speed.

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #5  
I agree with having a paddle switch and easy adjustable guard as priorities, along with decent amps. I don't think the top of the line is needed, but a middle range amp rating close to 10 or 11 amps works really well for me. I'd rather have two 10 amp grinders, or one 10 amp grinder and two 6 amps grinders that I could leave set up with dedicated wheels (grinding, cutoff, and wire) for the same money as the Makita variable speed you listed.

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #6  
I spent a lot of money on a Makita variable speed with the conventional trigger. I bought it to use with a Diamond wheel to touch up stump grinder teeth, otherwise I don't see the need for the variable speed. It does heat up though on slow speed.

I do like Makita grinders.

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #7  
Angle grinders work in a pretty nasty environment, full of grinding dust. its an environment that limits the life of anything.

My advice... buy cheap... buy lots

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #8  
You cant go wrong with a Metabo...very tough and the "quick" nut wheel change is awesome!

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #9  
Yes, I have about half a dozen, mostly Mastercraft cheapies. And that's not often enough for cutting disks, grinding disks, smoothing disks, wire wheels, what have I forgotten?

/ Single speed or Variable speed angle grinder ? #10  
I agree with Industrial Toys and mcfarmall. Makitas and Metabos are my favorite. (And Walters).

IMG_3436.JPG