Mig or stick?

/ Mig or stick? #31  
My big industrial 3 phase stick welder is nearly fail proof to start an ark and low amperage work isn’t hard either. I can weld 3/32 no problem. Sadly my engine drive welder and any other welder I’ve used is a nightmare compared to it. And all were DC machines.

/ Mig or stick? #32  
I can weld 3/32 no problem

..... but you have many years of experience and were forced to learn, because there was no other option except oxy/acet. Right? Nobody __with a MIG nearby__ will weld 3/32 with stick. If they do, it's for the sport of it. Perhaps if the MIG is ancient or poorly-maintained.

414896d1425447736-stick-welded-today-thoroughly-enjoyed-img_0221-jpg

Here's some stick welding I did after MIG'ing 36 years. It waslike riding a bicycle. But that's 7018 (sorta cheating:D).

/ Mig or stick? #33  
..... but you have many years of experience and were forced to learn, because there was no other option except oxy/acet. Right? Nobody __with a MIG nearby__ will weld 3/32 with stick. If they do, it's for the sport of it. Perhaps if the MIG is ancient or poorly-maintained.

414896d1425447736-stick-welded-today-thoroughly-enjoyed-img_0221-jpg

Here's some stick welding I did after MIG'ing 36 years. It waslike riding a bicycle. But that's 7018 (sorta cheating:D).

No I did it because I wanted to. I have a mig and use it 90 percent of the time.

/ Mig or stick? #34  
For the sport, then. I can understand that.

But per the subject of this thread "MIG or Stick, you wrote "90% MIG". 90+ is typical for experienced (stick) welders in this day and age. I suspect most are 90+ tending towards 98% for lots of reasons. Except for remote / outdoors or sport.

Which is I think the info that the OP was after. And the candid response that most new welders need to read on a forum when they are looking for the best answers. They are about to spend some coin on a tool and don't really need to waste funds on "the legacy path" for another dust catcher in the shop.

Unless you get a stick welder for $50 then it's OK, cuz $50 leaves some $$$ to get a good MIG.

/ Mig or stick? #35  
Well I have $0 in my stick welder because my grandpa bought 5 big industrial units at an auction for $250 and sold 1 for $250. He traded 1, lost one and we still have 2. If I was using the typical budget priced stick welder I’d probably throw it in the corner and use in 0 percent of the time.

Last edited:
   / Mig or stick? #36  
Starting with a stick was always my downfall. I have always had to turn the heat up at least one level above what the chart says. Mind you I only weld 5 or 6 times a year and mostly use my little mig. We had a big Lincoln stick/tig welder at work. I don't remember the model. On mild steel I usually used the 6011 and did okay.

I started out oxi acetylene welding with coat hangers 50 years ago. :)

/ Mig or stick? #37  
Personally, I don't understand people dumping on stick like it isn't used or needed. One estimate puts it as 1/2 of all industrial welding. Over 1/2 of all welding in some countries.

Another estimate, in total filler metal sold, is around 40% just for stick. Mig right behind it naturally.

Some people need it, some just like it, some will never use it - all of those options are great in my opinion. :)

I use mig, tig and stick as needed. Last year I added mobile welding to my services and found often I only needed 5-10 rods for a repair.
I clearly wouldn't bother to pull out a wire feeder for that.
Mig is awesome when needed, so is tig. :)

Just my opinions.

/ Mig or stick? #38  
I don't think folks are 'dumping' on stick. I think many of us can't consider ourselves even 'part time' welders and we don't really need all the processes and MIG is easiest (in my opinion). I really want to learn TIG when I have more time on my hands but I can't really justify a machine that will sit. I could probably say that for stick too except I don't see any reason for me personally to get stick as I am a garage welder. I can see me wanting to play with TIG for aluminum and delicate work.

/ Mig or stick? #39  
I don't think folks are 'dumping' on stick. I think many of us can't consider ourselves even 'part time' welders and we don't really need all the processes and MIG is easiest (in my opinion). I really want to learn TIG when I have more time on my hands but I can't really justify a machine that will sit. I could probably say that for stick too except I don't see any reason for me personally to get stick as I am a garage welder. I can see me wanting to play with TIG for aluminum and delicate work.

A good mig machine will definitely do most of what a person needs :)

Tig welding is great :D I only stick weld when needed - but sometimes it's actually the best process for what I'm doing.

Having machines that sit bugs me too. My bobcat 225 sits way way more than it gets used.

/ Mig or stick? #40  
A good mig machine will definitely do most of what a person needs :)

This is the information that people need, the reason they’re consulting the forum. People dump on stick welding first of all, because it has been surpassed in utility (40 years ago?) by the MIG, yet there’s always a few forceful forum posters insinuating that stick is the “real welder” - gotta learn stick or yer a poser. Is there a better definition of posing? Than pretending stick is better on the internet while using the MIG in real life?

Its the fakery. When is the last time you saw a commercial mfd trailer with stick? 1980? Its been a LONG time. There are grandkids in that time. Stick is GOOD! Theres no question. But the guy wants to buy into a process, one that will work better, an in most cases its a MIG. Stick is cheaper and some folks can learn it well. The new DC inverter stick machines are easier to start thus easier to learn too.

Attitude causes the backlash. Insecurity causes attitude ? Newby welder needs neither of these impediments. Newby welder should buy a MIG, learn how to use it (make good welds) and start on their projects.

Last edited: