Condensation on flow meter

/ Condensation on flow meter #1  

Tractorguy24

Bronze Member
Tractor
I welded for about 1/2 hour today and when I was finished I noticed a lot of condensation on the outside of the flow meter (not regulator)
I didnt find anything on google. Is this normal or would it maybe indicate that i have a leak somewhere. It never happened before.
Thanks

/ Condensation on flow meter #2  
Any gas going from high pressure to lower pressure cools. It can cause condensation. My first thought is too much flow. But if that was in line a
Possible leak or a humid day at your place.

/ Condensation on flow meter #3  
Happens all the time. Just hang a light next to the flow meter. I've had them frost up in the past.

/ Condensation on flow meter #4  
Now that the OP's answer has been given, mind if I hijack for a minute? It's along the same lines as the original question:

I set myself up with and Oxy/Propane torch. Works great, I mostly use it for heating stuck nuts/bolts, and a bit of brazing. I have a plasma for cutting most things I need to cut.

My question is this- I don't have a garage yet and I certainly don't want a propane or oxy tank in my basement. The thought of either of them leaking gives me the heebyjeebies. Since I've had the setup (about a year), every time I'm done using it, I remove the regulators/hoses, store the tanks outside and the regs/hoses in the basement after they've bled off. Is it safe to leave the regs/hoses on and leave outside? How about if I build a small wood enclosure for it all to keep the sun off of it? They're chained to the wall, currently, so I could just chain the enclosure to the wall as well if need be.

I see mobile welders leaving their stuff out in the open on the trucks all the time, just wondering if it's safe for me to do the same?

/ Condensation on flow meter #5  
Now that the OP's answer has been given, mind if I hijack for a minute? It's along the same lines as the original question:

I set myself up with and Oxy/Propane torch. Works great, I mostly use it for heating stuck nuts/bolts, and a bit of brazing. I have a plasma for cutting most things I need to cut.

My question is this- I don't have a garage yet and I certainly don't want a propane or oxy tank in my basement. The thought of either of them leaking gives me the heebyjeebies. Since I've had the setup (about a year), every time I'm done using it, I remove the regulators/hoses, store the tanks outside and the regs/hoses in the basement after they've bled off. Is it safe to leave the regs/hoses on and leave outside? How about if I build a small wood enclosure for it all to keep the sun off of it? They're chained to the wall, currently, so I could just chain the enclosure to the wall as well if need be.

I see mobile welders leaving their stuff out in the open on the trucks all the time, just wondering if it's safe for me to do the same?

I've got the same equipment and yes, the same fears about storing gases inside. Don't do that. And it's not only welding gasses, there's propane for us rural people and that scares me too. I take all precautions I can think of. My gear is good and I keep a close eye on it.

But torch welding is one of my hobbies and also how I do a lot of artwork, so my workshop is inside one end of my house. Sometimes I want to be able to work while clients and friends watch over my shoulder. That's half the fun and it's a lot of why I use a torch. Plus it is so versatile a tool.

Anyway, back to the tanks and gauges. Oxy and Acetylene tanks live outside the house in a little weather proof but unheated wooden overhang just as you are proposing. It's a sort of half-open to the weather shed of their own. Each tank has its own little canvas bag top to farther make sure any water or dirt is excluded from the gauge area. I cherish those 2 stage gauges. As I said, no heat....and winters are cold in the Rockies. The low pressure hoses run through a hole in the wall into my workshop inside the house where I weld at my bench. There is also a very quiet but powerful fume venting system, but that's now what we are talking about here.

So the tanks are outside. The lower halves sometimes in the direct sun & sometimes in the shade. The upper parts are always double protected from sun & weather with their zipper hoodies and the overhang. To use them I turn the tank handles on to weld during the day and leave them on until in the evening or when I'm sure I'm done for the day. I don't leave them on overnight. As you probably know, you only turn the acetylene on a quarter turn or so, but the oxygen gets rotated CCW all the way. (double sealing valve). Do not force the valves; just hand tight. If they are good valves cranking hard is not necessary, and it they are not it won't help.

When turning the tanks on and off I do NOT change the gauge pressure settings and do not drain pressure from the hoses. That's because pressure in the hose is my double check. It tends to hold hose pressure even after days of non use.
I've been doing it this way for right at 50 years now with never a problem and no wear I can detect. You do NOT have to take the regulators or hoses off as you are doing now. Doing so will put more unnecessary wear on them. They survive in the cold just fine. Caveat: If the outside temperature is below -20F and I want to be welding the next day I'll put an electric heating pad next to my tanks and wrap them in a few blankets. After all, there are elastomers in those valves & gauges and at some point any elastomer has to have some sensitivity to cold. Elastomers are all synthetic organic molecule after all.... Gotta be somewhat cold sensitive. However, with that simplest heat system either enough heat rises to the gauge area or else it wasn't a problem in the first place. Never had a problem with it. If the weather is that cold and I'm NOT going to weld - which means I'm not messing with the tanks, valves, and gauges - I don't bother to add heat.

However, as a clue to how rugged these oxy/acet systems are, 40 years ago I strapped my welding tanks to the back of a 1950 GMC milk truck and spend a year as an itinerant tinker down in the jungles of central America - going from village to village in the jungle repairing metal things more or less in return for meals or whatever. I was as careful as you can imagine with my equipment - but the environment was tough. Nary a problem, though.

Sheaff, I've kind overwritten this answer because I know how much I worried about the same thing. Just wanted to let you know someone else is out there.
rScotty

/ Condensation on flow meter #7  
Something not mentioned about propane, it is a heavier than air gas and will pool in low places... This is why it should NOT be in basements or where it can flow UNDER any place that can capture and hold it... Propane when ignite in explosive situation expands 277 times it initial volume and has ability to put just about any building in orbit....

Dale

/ Condensation on flow meter
Good to know that the condensation is normal. Thanks!

/ Condensation on flow meter #9  
rScotty, thank you so much for the very informative and detailed answer! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out, and it answered all my questions as well as some questions I didn’t know I even had yet!

I’m going to look into building a small shelter for my tanks and make it right enough to keep weather out, but not tight enough to store gasses that could have escaped the tanks. I’ll also look into finding some zippered hoods to further protect the regs from damage. Thanks again!

I’m also aware that propane is heavier than air, that makes me nervous and is one of the reasons I don’t want my home heating propane tanks next to my house! The thought of a leak causing propane to settle under my foundation and wait for a spark scares me!

/ Condensation on flow meter #10  
rScotty, thank you so much for the very informative and detailed answer! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out, and it answered all my questions as well as some questions I didn稚 know I even had yet!

I知 going to look into building a small shelter for my tanks and make it right enough to keep weather out, but not tight enough to store gasses that could have escaped the tanks. I値l also look into finding some zippered hoods to further protect the regs from damage. Thanks again!

I知 also aware that propane is heavier than air, that makes me nervous and is one of the reasons I don稚 want my home heating propane tanks next to my house! The thought of a leak causing propane to settle under my foundation and wait for a spark scares me!

You're very welcome to the info; glad it helped.
I often thing about oxy/acetylene equipment and how it isn't as much used today as it used to be. I've friends who weld but don't even have a setup.
I admit it is old fashioned technology and requires more care and craftsmanship than my TIG or MIG. But in return it does more. Torch welds are still as good as ever, it's still the only way to repair things like truck leave springs, and might just be the most versatile metal working tool of all. A torch not only welds steel and other alloys but it brazes, cuts, solders, and hardens. Being an older technology, the equipment benefits from being built from an era when tools were extremely well built and rugged - especially the US made equipment.
It's easy to see that tanks, gauges, hoses and torches from decades ago are made to an older (and higher) standard than some newer technology. Luckily there are still people who specialize in refurbishing them.

As far as keeping oxy/acet equipment outside, no problem. Even the most basic protection will make it last generations.
Before I made a shelter & nifty little zipper hoods for the gauges, I would drape a work sweater over them and throw my canvas jacket on top at night in case it rained. On the back of the truck the tanks sat on a cushioned surface, mounted tight so they wouldn't rattle, and the sweater/canvas jacket tied around the tops. Same for the sailboat. I turn the tank gas knobs off when traveling, but leave the gauges set at operating pressure and that pressure in the lines. Afterall, we are only talking about about 5 & 10 psi for acet & oxy respectively - and very small volumes of gas. Why drain it? Better to use the pressure to monitor itself.

I hear you on the propane. We have it here - most rural homes do. Plus there is propane on our camper and the sailboat. Frankly propane scares me more than oxy/acet or natural gas. It's not the flammability, I worry because propane is heavier than air & sinks. That is why on I don't allow any connections under the house to the propane lines running there. The lines are solid the entire length and all connections to the lines occur outside in the air where I can inspect them. Sometimes there is an almost unavoidable connection to the appliance itself that happens inside the house. For that connection I always use an annealed compression flange connection and make them up myself. I said "almost unavoidable" because on the sailboat and camper I built a box around the connectors themselves and vented them to the outside. And I also did that on a previous house. But I admit I haven't gone to that extreme where we live now....though it's something I still think about.

Here is a picture of some delicate pieces: torch welded, hammered flat on an anvil, & polished. Most of this same kind of work can also be done with TIG, it's just a matter of hooking a bead to something and then stringing it out with style. A torch is quieter though.

Attachments

• Buckle Box Jan 26,2015 2.JPG
    Buckle Box Jan 26,2015 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 76