Backstand grinder

/ Backstand grinder #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
So I bought a pair of backstand grinders yesterday. I'll go back on Tuesday to pick them up. Here's the CL post: Grinder - Polisher - Cutoff Metal Saw - Belt Sander - Polisher - heavy equipment - by owner - sale $200 for the pair with out the dust collectors. I think the first one is a direct drive Baldor grinder that has been converted to a belt grinder. The motor tag is missing, but I'd guess that it's a 5hp unit because it has 20 amp fuses. The other one, I'm not sure who made it or what the motor hp is, but it's belt driven with the motor inside of the base. Kinda looks like a Kalamazoo. Due to the foundry dust, none of the tags are readable. I'll probably clean it up and flip one of the machines because I don't need two. I'd like to covert both units to run on 220v 2p power. I need to convert mine because I don't have 3 phane and I want to convert the second one so it's easier to sell. With belt grinders, is there any value to having variable speed? I currently have a VFD on my 12" pedestal grinder and other than using a power boost to bring it up to speed faster and running it at 80hz, I really don't use any other features of a VFD. That said, I've never had a belt grinder before. I know that buying two 5 or 7.5hp VFD's will be very expensive so I'm toying with buying a different motor. There's a 220v 5hp motor on CL for $225 and that would be a lot cheaper than a VFD.