Looking for a new welder

/ Looking for a new welder #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I need to replace my MIG welder I sold when I moved. It was a Millermatic 200. I don't want to spend allot of money, but want something to do the job right. This is for home use and I will be welding heavier metal only, between 3/16" to 1/4". This would be for tractor repairs. I need to weld hooks onto my FEL, various repair type welding, etc. I am thinking about an Stick welder or possibly a flux core mig. I don't have much experience with stick welding, but it seems like it would do a good job on heavier steel. Then there is AC vs DC. Any suggestions?

/ Looking for a new welder #2  
Far as stick welders. Hard to beat the price, and quality of the Everlast PowerArc 200ST. PM Mark from Everlast for a quote.
Here is what the PowerArc 200ST can do with 6010, and 7018.

Attachments

• Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Best 7018 Cap.jpg
    Best 7018 Cap.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 327
   / Looking for a new welder
I like that. What would be the difference using 120 vs 240? Also, how easy is it to convert to TIG? I never used a tig welder, but I like having that option.

Far as stick welders. Hard to beat the price, and quality of the Everlast PowerArc 200ST. PM Mark from Everlast for a quote.
Here is what the PowerArc 200ST can do with 6010, and 7018.

/ Looking for a new welder #4  
I like that. What would be the difference using 120 vs 240? Also, how easy is it to convert to TIG? I never used a tig welder, but I like having that option.

Bought my 200ST last August. Had a ac buzzbox before that. All you need to setup for tig is an air-cooled torch, regulator and argon. If you want to weld aluminum, you will need a bottle of helium. And skill, unless you are a part time hobbyist like Shield Arc, than no skill required:dance1:.

I have welded with the tig, took some getting used to the lift start at first, but now prefer it to a foot pedal as one less thing to trip over. As to durability, ask me in ten years.

Works fine on 120v but will have less power (amperage range) but will get you by. I have welded in the field off a 5k generator at 120v. It does run better at 240.

LNK

Last edited:
   / Looking for a new welder #5  
Concerning what Shield Arc said about the welds in the pix. Having him holding the stinger didn't hurt, either.

/ Looking for a new welder #6  
Currently theres a lot of nostalgia for Stick welding, it must be trending on Facebook or something :D.

Pretty sure Millermatic 200 is the machine I learned to MIG on. This was back in 1981. Summa you fellers think that was only 10 years ago (it was 37 years)! Its a classic. Im waiting for the day when some young feller assumes Im a real welder cuz I talk about running a MM200 back in the day. Thats about 5 years out I think (check back in 2023 :D).

Be sure to post pics of your thoughts and progress. I stick-welded again after 36 years, it was great fun, like a sport and was great to know I can fall back on it. Skills were still there like riding a bicycle, but it the new machine (Miller MultiMatic 200) is a DC inverter and actually EASIER than an old buzz-box. But its no substitute for the MIG. If youre the type to repair stuff there will be lots of things you cant repair anymore. So youll have to learn the TIG. Which aint a bad thing, other than time-consuming. And which may be OK if you have the time & interest. Always learn new processes, even if you dont use it much it could improve the processes you DO use.

Bought my 200ST last August. Had a ac buzzbox before that. All you need to setup for tig is an air-cooled torch, regulator and argon. If you want to weld aluminum, you will need a bottle of helium

Helium is for DC tig. Choosing an AC tig for Aluminum (using your one argon bottle) will save a lot of $$$ & hassle.

Works fine on 120v but will have less power (amperage range) but will get you by. I have welded in the field off a 5k generator at 120v. It does run better at 240.

It runs better on 240v for a good reason. One thing to remember about welding with 120v on a generator. A 240v generator that has a couple 120v outlets that each use only one leg (HALF of the windings) of the generator. The other leg is the other 120v outlet (the other windings are idle, un-used). Consequently a 5kw 240v generator is only 2.5kw at 120v. 2.5kw is good for appx 1/8? You want about 3.5kw to weld 3/16 or 1/4? So to weld on 120v youll need a 7kw (or 8kw). Whereas if you had a 240v welder it would use both legs (the whole generator output).

Sorry for the confusion but confusion is one of the reasons 120v doesnt work well for remote welding. Its a really simple reason that confuses people into thinking its a problem with a 120v welder. Its not the welder - its a problem on the plug-in supply. A problem that simply goes away with 240v. Dual Voltage welders are handy if you cant just put 240v everwhere you might weld.

Am I better off going with a MIG? I'm looking at the Hobart Handler 190. A little pricey, but will do what I need it to do.

/ Looking for a new welder #8  
Am I better off going with a MIG? I'm looking at the Hobart Handler 190. A little pricey, but will do what I need it to do.

I'm sure a mig will be fine. If you need to weld outdoors put in a roll of flux core wire and don't forget to reverse wire polarity if you normally use solid wire. Don't ask me how I know.

If I go MIG, I doubt I will buy and tank. I would just use flux core wire. For some reason though, stick welding seems to penetrate better and give you a stronger weld on the heavier steel. Could just be me.

/ Looking for a new welder #10  
If I go MIG, I doubt I will buy and tank. I would just use flux core wire. For some reason though, stick welding seems to penetrate better and give you a stronger weld on the heavier steel. Could just be me.

If you're doing mostly shorter welds outdoors on equipment stick might be a better option. If a lightweight portable machine is important I'd look at one of the Everlast inverters. If it's one that will be in the shop maybe a used transformer unit.