Replacing excavator bucket shanks

/ Replacing excavator bucket shanks #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I am going to replace the shanks on my excavator bucket. The previous owner operated without teeth at times and wore them down quite a bit. I am going to replace them with H@L shanks and H@L teeth. The shank with the missing tooth has a hard time keeping on the tooth. The weld will break after a while since basically the shank is not holding the tooth at all. This is the only one that comes off. All the pressure is on the weld. I am tired of losing teeth on the shank. I plan on cutting off the shanks with my torch and then preheating and welding on the new ones using 1/8" 7018 ac rods. Any tips on this project?
Maybe I should look towards a new bucket like this bucket , 24" fits excavator or loader backhoe 14-16 lbs.

274-ZW-23 | Hltooth
23HD-5 | Hltooth

Attachments

• 104_3411.JPG
    104_3411.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 683
  • 104_3412.JPG
    104_3412.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 830
  • 104_3413.JPG
    104_3413.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 614
Last edited:
   / Replacing excavator bucket shanks #2  
It might be a "wash" as far as the amount of labor needed to just cut off the whole edge and replace it along with new shanks & covers vs. your plan. You'd have close to a new bucket. For my situation, I might just run it as it is until winter, and do this project then, with a little more time to build up other wear surfaces that need it. :thumbsup:
Do a thread on your project, you know we love pics.:D

/ Replacing excavator bucket shanks
I forgot to mention the cost of the parts are $175. Just not sure if it is worth it on the old bucket. 5 teeth and shanks.

What do you think of trying one more tooth on that shank and wrapping three layers of weld all around the tooth? Weld it until I cannot see the tooth anymore. LOL

/ Replacing excavator bucket shanks #4  
Do you have a carbon arc? A carbon arc would make quick work of this project.

Attachments

• Carbon Arc 1.JPG
    Carbon Arc 1.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 420
  • Carbon goug.jpg
    Carbon goug.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 461
   / Replacing excavator bucket shanks #6  
Do you have a carbon arc? A carbon arc would make quick work of this project.

Here's a pic of my exothermic lance. It would also work.
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG

To the OP: Personally I would sell your old bucket and buy NEW like the one posted in your link.

/ Replacing excavator bucket shanks #7  
No I do not
Personally, I won't carbon arc with any of my welders. I would rent one first! Over the years I have put the hurt on welders carbon arcing with them. I've had the leads jump 2-feet off the ground when I would strike an arc.

/ Replacing excavator bucket shanks #8  
Personally, I won't carbon arc with any of my welders. I would rent one first! Over the years I have put the hurt on welders carbon arcing with them. I've had the leads jump 2-feet off the ground when I would strike an arc.

Because a a good portion of his business involves rebuilding buckets, my friend Matt has a BIG old transformer welder as a dedicated power source for carbon arc cutting in his shop.

When the engine drive unit on his shop truck was in for repairs I lent him one of mine. He informed his customers he would be UNABLE to do any on-site air arc temporarily and they would have to bring the repair job to his shop if they wished.

I decided to give it another try with another tooth. I welded up the shank some with 7018 rod to ensure a tighter fit on the tooth. I then did 3 passes all around with 7018. We will see what happens.

So far the tooth is holding.
I have another question. Can I weld some more hard facing over existing hard facing to build it up some more? any special prep other than preheating?