Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #1  

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
My mother used to refer to some people as “slow”. I realize now it was probably a sideways reference to ME.

I’ve been renting my oxygen and acetylene bottles from the same LWS since I was 15. (I’m 67 now). I’m too embarrassed to tell you how much the current annual fee is.

IMG_3354.JPG

So today I found these three acetylene and one oxygen tank on our local equivalent of Craigslist for $100.

A new local LWS opened in my area recently and they confirmed there would be no hydro checks or problems exchanging tanks with them.

IMG_0874.JPG

The two smaller acetylene tanks are full as is the oxygen. The seller was less than a mile from my house. Now I can ditch the rental tanks and my mom can stop shaking her head in dismay...

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #2  
Hey better late than never! Nice find... now you can shake your head about how you went so long but smile that you are 'getting with it'. I went through this exercise a few years ago with my 500gal propane tank rental. Finally wised up and purchased my own. Now I am not a slave to the rental company as no else would fill it if it was leased. Now I shop for LP and what a difference (on top of no annual fee!). :drink:

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #3  
My oxy/acet tanks rental is up this summer, after 25 years of $125.00/3yr still dont know if this time will be the last but the rental place sold out to a new dealer so I'll have to see what the price difference will be first. I did manage to buy the welding gas tank this past March @$300.00 as a posed to renting it $75.00/year, when I first rented the tank, it was $50.00/yr.

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #4  
I watch the auction close to me for such things. When tanks are on the block they inform bidders the tanks may be leased, so buyer beware. If the lot has accessories they state you are buying the accessories. I buy them up and trade off at the WS and sell on CL as full with the reciept proving not leased. My WS says only the large size tanks are leased any more and they will take on exchange any small tanks. Last one was with a bunch of accessories, bought the lot for $50 (not much action) sold the guages and torch as is for $25 and the tanks for $300. One acetylene tank new is over $300.

Ron

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #5  
It's becoming increasingly difficult by the day for hobbyists to have owned tanks filled around Dallas Tx. Airgas and Praxair bought out the small supply places(closed most of them) and use every excuse imaginable not to fill tanks. Neighbor bought a tank off Craigslist that was 2 years out of hydro and was told by Airgas they were probably rusted out inside and wouldn't exchange it nor send it for hydro. Two different people told me they exchanged tanks at Airgas and were given tanks with out of business names on neck. When those were brought in for exchange they were told tanks were at one time rentals and couldn't be exchanged as owner tanks. I have small bottles I no longer need for plumbing and air conditioning that I can not get them to take as trade in on larger bottles. Large propane companies won't work on owned tanks and will not sell gauges,regulators and valves over the counter.

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #6  
You can actually order them filled on Amazon, 125ft Argon/CO2 is $300 free shipping. I think the oxygen and acetylene are empty.

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #7  
I’m too embarrassed to tell you how much the current annual fee is.
If it's anything like here in NS, the local Linde dealer charges $100 year per tank. Mind you when you first sign up as a new customer its the same price for 3 years. So much for loyalty incentives..........M

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #8  
My mother used to refer to some people as “slow”. I realize now it was probably a sideways reference to ME.

I’ve been renting my oxygen and acetylene bottles from the same LWS since I was 15. (I’m 67 now). I’m too embarrassed to tell you how much the current annual fee is.

View attachment 557730

So today I found these three acetylene and one oxygen tank on our local equivalent of Craigslist for $100.

A new local LWS opened in my area recently and they confirmed there would be no hydro checks or problems exchanging tanks with them.

View attachment 557729

The two smaller acetylene tanks are full as is the oxygen. The seller was less than a mile from my house. Now I can ditch the rental tanks and my mom can stop shaking her head in dismay...
Our local supplier I remember having to pay initially a rental fee for two large tanks, like the larger one in picture. Then each time I got them refilled they "gave" me smaller ones! I don't do all that much welding, but need to get the tanks filled soon. I never did figure out how that works with tank rental but looks like I got gypped.
I've never paid a yearly fee though.

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #9  
My Local AIRGAS has been miserable to deal with, on flip side PRAXAIR guys do everything possible to do good business with me.... I bring in my "owned" tanks and almost before I can finish paying for gas at counter (customer owned tanks) gas dock person had empty tanks out of my truck and replaced with filled tanks... Never a question on ownership or hydrostatic test...

Have had my oxy/acet tanks for at least 30 years and my C25 for 5 years, all "purchased"...Don't even know If I have paperwork any more...

Your results will vary by location....

Dale

/ Finally Ditching the Oxy-Acetylene Tank Rental #10  
My Local AIRGAS has been miserable to deal with, on flip side PRAXAIR guys do everything possible to do good business with me.... I bring in my "owned" tanks and almost before I can finish paying for gas at counter (customer owned tanks) gas dock person had empty tanks out of my truck and replaced with filled tanks... Never a question on ownership or hydrostatic test...

Have had my oxy/acet tanks for at least 30 years and my C25 for 5 years, all "purchased"...Don't even know If I have paperwork any more...

Your results will vary by location....

Dale
I'm curious to know if there is any competition in the vicinity.