where to find metal for learning stick welding?

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
Where are some good places to find metal around Knoxville, TN? If I could find 1/4 inch plate to practice running beads and joing them together that would be nice. Where are yall getting the metal?

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #2  
Drive 120 miles north to Somerset KY and I will give you 2-300 lbs.
I have about 2 ton of 14ga to 1/2" flat scrap and 16ga to 1/4" wall tubing drops, that need to be hauled off.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #3  
There ya go!!!!

Wish I lived by you.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #4  
Look for some small metal fabricating shops in your area. My friends shop used to donate his scrap drops from his shear to the local tech school for their weld shops.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #5  
Does your landfill have metal section.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #6  
Here in Tyler TX, the place that sells metal, Tyler Steel, gives away scraps to me all the time when I'm looking for something specific. If they have it in their junk pile, they just give it to me. I would look up where people get steel in your area and go ask the guy at the counter if he could help you out. If he's smart, he will give you some pieces of scrap knowing that when you are ready to buy, you will be back.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #7  
Hola! Most of the independent car mechanics around here have pieces of broken leaf springs that they give away or sell cheap if I need hard metal for anything. That stuff would work to practice laying beads. Good luck, welding will change your outlook on life

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #8  
Where are some good places to find metal around Knoxville, TN? If I could find 1/4 inch plate to practice running beads and joing them together that would be nice. Where are yall getting the metal?

We all started the same way. Go to a local metal fabrication shop and ask the owner if you can have some scrap metal to learn how to weld. You won't go to many before you find one that understands exactly what you need. You might even find a friend.

The best scrap is cut-offs from shearing or cutting. To start, you just want clean low carbon steel of the type used for just about everything. Quarter inch plate is good to learn. Later on you can progress to much thinner and thicker pieces. After that comes high carbon (hard) steel, and specialty metals. There's a whole world out there.
good luck,
Hints: ALWAY WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Particularly when grinding. BTW, get a hand-held grinder so you can look at the insides of your welds. And don't ignore the oxy/acetylene torch. Good welders know both.

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #9  
I occasionally rummage through the metal scrap bin at our local recycling place. I don't get pretty stuff but usually there is a variety of things that I can cut up and use for something if not just practicing. BBQs, box spring support frames, exercise equipment, etc. I cannibalize the item, saving the pieces that might be of use and toss the rest back the next time I go dumpster diving.

I have even rescued an old craftsman tool chest that needed some straightening and drawer slide work. Now is it my small welding table after putting a 1/2" x 2' x 4' steel top and casters on it.

IMG_9835.jpg

/ where to find metal for learning stick welding? #10  
Ask in local workshops, maybe they have something and they sell to you inexpensively??