WELDING CAST IRON

/ WELDING CAST IRON #1  

buster

Tractor
farmall cub, ford 8n, kioti LB 1914 w/fel
I loaned my father in law my Kioti LB 1914 for some projects around his horse barn. While filling and compacting a water line trench he had the left side tires in the trench about 9" deep and tried to turn out mid way. Well the trench was just wide enough for the tires to fit and the upper spindle where the tie rod attaches snapped off when he turned right. The piece was easy to remove but the problem is I have waited almost 4 weeks for the part. My dealer told me it has to come from korea and can't really tell me when it will be in. I thought about finding a welding shop that can weld cast iron until the part gets here. Has anyone had any luck w/ this kind of repair?

/ WELDING CAST IRON #2  
I have seen people weld suspension links to the cast pumpkin on the rear axle. There is a process for it, I would say Yes you can. I have sticthed welded my axle tubes with a mig using flux core wire. Have not spun the tubes but that might just be luck. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If your not locked into the part yet maybe check with some other dealers maybe online dealers too.

/ WELDING CAST IRON #3  
There's a fellow down the road with a JD-40 that has the ugliest stick weld repair to his front axle. Both spindles have broiken off and he glued themn right back on.. this tractor has been like this for as long as I remember seeing it ( 12+ years ).

Also.. I've seen tons of front axle weld repairs on antiques over the years.

If it's cast.. a good welder can pre-heat the part.. and use a nickel ( or other ) rod and then slowly cool it in a sand pit.

A small part like that usually fares better than a large thin part with webbing.. like an engine block.

One other thing may be in your favor.. there is a good possibility that part is cast steel.. not cast iron. if it is cast steel.. there are no special techniques to welding on it.. just buzz and go.

Many of the lift arm components.. etc on tractors are cast steel and not cast iron. i see welded gussets and supports all of over the place to strengthen bent metal.. etc. Pretty much engine blocks and hyd top covers are the 'difficult' parts due to their design and materials.. etc.

For what it's worth.. the cast iron oil pan on my ford 2n has a 6" crack down one side that was stick welded umpteen dozen years ago.. no leaks..and the oil pan is part of the frame on that tractor..

Good luck

Soundguy

/ WELDING CAST IRON #4  
Take it to any welding shop and they can do it. It should be "V" ground on each side of the break, then pre-heated and welded with a nickel bearing rod. Done it many times.

/ WELDING CAST IRON #5  
To add to that, if possible, drill and tap the unit and add a strap of heavy flat bar. While it is a slow moving vehicle, loss of steering can be extremely dangerous.

/ WELDING CAST IRON
Thanks for the replies, soundguy I just assumed that is is cast iron (I think it is) but I will check to see if it is steel.

/ WELDING CAST IRON #7  
Buster;
How can you tell cast iron from cast steel? I have heard that if you hit it with a grinder you can tell from the sparks. I have always wondered if there is a more reliable way of identification.

Good Luck

Sim

/ WELDING CAST IRON #8  
I had a 1914 some years ago and had it welded several times. As previously stated a metal strap will benefit holding power. A competent welder can do almost anything on this machine.

/ WELDING CAST IRON #9  
There is a big defference between the sparks from cast iron versus cast steel or any steel.

/ WELDING CAST IRON #10  
I had a cast iron engine block welded on an old Allis engine. It held for the years that I owned it and would bet money that it's still going strong today. A pro will make short work of it.