CHEAP WELDING TABLE

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #1  

WALT

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA BX2200, L-39 TLB & RTV X1100C
I just completed a project that I think TBN'ers can use.
I was at my local dump scanning the scrap metal piles, and for $10.00 & 2 hours time, made a sturdy welding table.

The table top is an old storm drain grate. The legs are 3/8" x 2" angle. The cross pieces are 1 1/4" square bar stock.
The rough dim. is 30" wide by 20" deep. The legs are 30" high.
Adjust to your particular use.
Try to find a grate that has not been tarred over, but for $5.00 you can't be too choosy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scrap metal & welders; a perfect match.

WALT

Attachments

• 690086-welding table 1.JPG
    690086-welding table 1.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,126
   / CHEAP WELDING TABLE
picture #2

Attachments

• 690087-welding table 2.JPG
    690087-welding table 2.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,189
   / CHEAP WELDING TABLE
picture#3

Attachments

• 690088-welding table 3.JPG
    690088-welding table 3.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,261
   / CHEAP WELDING TABLE #4  
Add some wheels and your good to go. Nice job.

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #5  
Walt, your post is a timely post for me. A couple of weeks ago I got a drain grate also. My grate is half the size of yours so I also got a flat piece of 3/8 metal. Together they will be about the size of your welding table. I had planned on having handles on one side on top and 2 wheels as the base on the other side so I could move it easily. I will use some of your ideas for the base. (My wooded saw horses are taking a charing.) Thanks for sharing! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #6  
That looks good! I still use the two sawhorses and a hunk of old warped plywood. Not very user friendly........

Over on the welding web, I saw what I'd really like--a guy built a welding table that is similar to a motorcycle lift, so it is heigth adjustable. Flat it will fit under his truck in the garage so it doesn't take up space. He can adjust it using the incorporated floor jack to any heigth he needs, up to a normal table heigth.....

When I get time, that's what I want to build............

Ron

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE
txdon:

The wheels & handles idea are the next step. I thought of 4 casters, as I have built castered dollies for most of my attachments. They make hook ups easy. However having the table sit flush to the floor without moving works best.
At present, I just have to drag the table 10' from it's spot to my welding area, but that takes it's toll over time.

I'm glad this is helpful for you. My workmate bench has more scorched top than wood from earlier projects.

WALT

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #8  
I would recommend just two wheels, so you can tilt it back when you want to move it, but have two legs solidly on the ground when you want to work.

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #9  
Very nice. Amazing what one can do with scrap!

My welding table is an old wood office desk, about 40"x72" I think, anyway, it's huge. I added locking casters underneath, and since welding on laminate simulated wood is a fire hazard, I screwed down a large piece of 1/8" steel as a top. I then welded a 5" long section of 1" round stock to the back left corner, sticking up. This is what I put my ground clamp on.

Several people suggested that I'll have intermittent welding issues due to this arrangement, but I find using the table top as a ground is wonderful and convienent, especially much smaller projects whereas the ground clamp is bigger than the project itself.

Anyway, nice welding table!

/ CHEAP WELDING TABLE #10  
Very nice, thanks for the photos.

I like the storm drain grate, it would do me well with the plasma arc cutter too.