Welding Cast Iron

/ Welding Cast Iron #1  

dliston

Silver Member
McHenry, Illinois - Right up near Wisconsin
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Someone donated a big old bell to our church. The frame that holds the bell up is cracked and made of cast iron. It looks to be a pretty clean break. Any hints about welding it with my MIG box?

Thanks,
Doug /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Welding Cast Iron #2  
Cast iron is tricky stuff. Why not ask your question in one of the welding forums by Miller or Hobart? Several of the pros there have done what you want to do. They are very helpful and not intimidating, and they don't care what type of equipment you have. Try it, you'll like it and get expert advice to boot.

Miller Motorsports welding forum

Hobart welding forums

/ Welding Cast Iron #3  
Is this the bell you're talking about?? If so, the fellah in the picture may want to speak to you!! (attatchment)

...Sorry....I just couldn't hepmahsef. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...Tony

Attachments

• 711738-lb.jpg
    711738-lb.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 268
   / Welding Cast Iron #4  
Our mechanif has had pretty good luck welding cast with a nickel rod and stick welder... pre-heating the area with a torch.. etc.

however.. are you sure that it is cast iron? Could it instead be cast steel? If it's cast steel... you can weld it with whatever.. no problems..etc.

Soundguy

/ Welding Cast Iron #5  
I had a cast iron steering hydraulic ram mount (high stress) fixed by brazing and it did not hold. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Welding Cast Iron #6  
Do a Google search for "cast iron repair" and you will find a lot of information.

/ Welding Cast Iron #7  
I have welded cast iron manifolds with an ac buzz boz and 6013 rods. Not easy or pretty but worked. Have to watch out, when you see the cast iron puddle it is too late and you have blown a hole /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Ben

/ Welding Cast Iron #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Feeding the trolls since 08/15/02 )</font>

Hehehehehehe...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The sign says "Don't feed the Trolls"

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif