welding ?

/ welding ? #1  

Jimbrown

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI LK30
OK I got this nifty wire welder for Xmas. I need to weld some sheet metal 1/32 or so to some 3/16 angle iron. Actually doors on my horse trailer where the spot welds have broken loose. what is the best way to so the spot welds? Do I start the arc on the thick stuff and move to the thin or the other way around or just start on the juction. I been practicing on some scrap but i sure burn a lot holes thru the thin stuff.

/ welding ? #2  
What type of welder did you get? Are you using Gas or Flux Core wire? What thickness of wire?

/ welding ?
It is a milermatic 135 I am using .035 flux cored wire.

/ welding ? #4  
Hi Jim,
I always touch off on the thicker stuff (near the seam) and pool it, then run down to the thin stuff. You thin stuff will melt faster than the thick stuff.
Have fun with the welder.

/ welding ? #5  
Jimbrown said:
OK I got this nifty wire welder for Xmas. I need to weld some sheet metal 1/32 or so to some 3/16 angle iron. Actually doors on my horse trailer where the spot welds have broken loose. what is the best way to so the spot welds? Do I start the arc on the thick stuff and move to the thin or the other way around or just start on the juction. I been practicing on some scrap but i sure burn a lot holes thru the thin stuff.
As stated..start thick and to towards the thinner material! MAKE SURE you dont have it set too "hot"...with that thin of material..as you noted..you go RIGHT THRU...RIGHT NOW! Dont know if you intend on welding it full length or not?? But I wouldnt. Short runs is all I would do..personally.

See your from Tombstone...:) One heck of a neat place to vacation for sure. Been there 2 times and will go back again!!

/ welding ?
Thanks Sully. i actually live in the ghost town of Gleeson but most people never heard of it and Tombstone is where I get my mail. 13 miles of unimproved dirt.

/ welding ? #7  
Jimbrown said:
Thanks Sully. i actually live in the ghost town of Gleeson but most people never heard of it and Tombstone is where I get my mail. 13 miles of unimproved dirt.
Hmm?? I'll have to look that up? I got one question totally off the welding subject.

The town of St David... WHAT does anyone do there for a living?? Its a kind cute place...but?????

/ welding ? #8  
On thin sheet I often put a copper plate behind it to sink excessive heat and stop breakthrough..
Also make the grinder your best friend..
Its much easier to weld clean metal ...so grind it back to bare metal (and remove paint,scale and platings ..zinc etc)..

Rob

/ welding ? #9  
Jimbrown said:

First make the job easier. Take the doors off and lay them flat. Then gently grind off the paint and old weld. Grind a spot close for the ground attachment. Poor ground contact is a common cause for poor weld quality. Start the weld on the thick material and use a circular motion pushing the melt puddle onto and over the edge of the thin material. It is important that the two pieces of metal are in hard firm direct contact. Welders lock pliers or big C clamps on each side of the weld area are needed. I am assuming that the thin metal overlaps the thick metal and is not an edge or "Butt" situation.

Don't do more than 3/8 to 3/4 inch long welds and don't do more than 1 or 2 every 10-15 minutes. Unless you enjoy the look of warped doors. That's a real conservative rate, but a safe one!

Last is the three most important things; practice practice practice.

jb

/ welding ? #10  
Keep practicing on your scrap pieces that are close or the same thicknesses as your doors untill you get results that you like, then weld your trailer. Usually in welding, the prep work, which includes cleaning, positioning, and practice is the key to getting good results.