Welding: Damage to Electrics?

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
I am about to undertake some welding on my new Power Trac. MossRoad reminded me of the possibility of damage to the electrical system of the machine caused by welding to it.
In the past, I have welded on cars and tractors without experiencing a problem. I would appreciate hearing from anyone, however, who has experienced or observed damage to a part of the machine not being welded upon, and if any, how damage can best be protected against.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #2  
Charlie,Disconnect the battery at the NEG. and keep the ground on your welder clamped close to the weld that you are making. IE: don't clamp to a wheel and be welding on the frame. You want to have the ground on the piece you are welding to, and not something bolted to it. Doing this you should have no problems.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics?
Von:
Makes sense, and I'll do it that way. Do you know the actual mechanism by which damage may have been caused? I can understand if the ground is claimped so that current may have a parallel path through the alternator, for instance, but have you experienced or heard of induced current or some other phenomenon causing a problem somewhere when the ground is close to the work?
Thanks

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #4  
I apologize for stating the obvious but a gas welder is a safer route. No possibility of electrical damage using that!

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #5  
Charlie, I have never had problems with electric items and never have heard of any if the battery is disconnected. Have heard of bearing damage due to ground placement. Keep the ground close to your weld and you will be fine.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #6  
Probably not applicable to your pt, but automatic transmission computers advise to disconnect wiring harness before welding. I would always disconnect sensitive stuff.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #7  
I can't gas weld on a vertical surface, due to my poor welding skills/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #8  
I read through some of my old welding manuals and all it said to do was disconnect the battery and disconnect the alternator.

Of course, this was written before cars had computers, so it shows you how long ago I took welding classes /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics? #9  
Charlie, you might want to read <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ag&Number=15702&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>this thread</A> from awhile back, and of course, there was another even older one on the same topic, but I can't find it.

/ Welding: Damage to Electrics?
Thanks all.
I'll disconnect the negative and cross my fingers. Certainly, I/m not worried about computer controls, and alternator diodes can be replaced if I fry some.