No more arc welding

/ No more arc welding #11  
SPYDERLK said:
Youve got the right idea with shielding, but ElectroMagnetic energy from an arc is nearly all in the conventional RF range. The tactic would be to reflect or shunt the energy-a Faraday cage and then some, rather than absorb as done with x ray. I think it would be a dangerously touchy setup to shield a body reliably EVERY time. I have some people I know with EMInterference/EMSusceptability experience. Ill tickle their brains a little. Im sure youd need to know the EMS spec of the pacemaker then compare it to the spectrum and intensity of energy from the arc, then characterize the sheilding. Ill get back on this next week.
larry

Bob, glad to hear you are doing ok!

On the arc welding thing, I'd think the problem is any voltage/current that could interfere with the heart beat that's created with the pace maker and damage to the pacemaker itself. The voltage could be induced via RF or by contact with the electrodes on the arc welder. Now i don't know if i've ever induce a voltage inside my body from arc welding, but some years ago, i did light up a friend of mine that was playing around and reached in to move the thing i was going to weld as i dropped my helmet. At the same time i stuck the stinger on his hand. My buddy was ok, but his mom was kinda mad because the jolt threw him back against the shelves that had a bunch of tasty home canned peaches.:(

I haven't done any gas welding in many many years, but one thing i do remember is you need pretty big tips to weld 1/4" or better.

/ No more arc welding #12  
Sorry to hear that you shouldn't arc weld, anymore. Gas welding is fun. It takes a bit of practice, but I find it more artistic and more satisfying than arc welding. Arc welding seems like brute force, to me, while gas welding is peaceful. Look into a Henrob (I think that's what it's called) torch. I don't have one, but if I were in the market for a new torch, that's what I'd be looking at. Shop around for the best price.

Henrob 2000 welder or Henrob torch - quality welding and cutting of metal.

As for your pacemaker, if you have an iPod, you may want to check out recent reports about them interfering with pacemakers, too.

Study: iPods can make pacemakers malfunction - CNN.com

/ No more arc welding #13  
MossRoad said:
Look into a Henrob (I think that's what it's called) torch. I don't have one, but if I were in the market for a new torch, that's what I'd be looking at. Shop around for the best price.

I have a Henrob, and found that with practice, I could do a decent job with steel and aluminum. I've not really practiced enough.
The Henrob is a pistol grip torch with very small flame, but welds and cuts surprisingly big stuff. Selection of rod and flux are important. When I got mine, it came with a pretty good video.

I am sure there are myriad good books out there. A source I'd recommend is EAA - Experimental Aircraft Association. I think if you can gas weld the fuselage of a tube and fabric airplane, you'll be able to weld nearly anything else.

/ No more arc welding
MossRoad said:
. Look into a Henrob (I think that's what it's called) torch. I don't have one, but if I were in the market for a new torch, that's what I'd be looking at. Shop around for the best price.

As for your pacemaker, if you have an iPod, you may want to check out recent reports about them interfering with pacemakers, too.

Study: iPods can make pacemakers malfunction - CNN.com

I looked at the Henrod website and it looks good. The low gas consumption means smaller tanks and lower operating cost. I have not found a price yet for it. I will probably purchase something in the next couple of weeks. I have to take it easy for 3 weeks to let things heal. I have a two inch incision in my chest.

I saw the article on the iPods. I will be careful.

/ No more arc welding #15  
I once saw a guy weld a snuff can to a piece of thin sheet with a torch. THAT was impressive! I haven't gas welded in a long time. There's something about heating up two pieces of metal until they melt and then pushing that puddle of molten metal with the flame that is just too cool. :)

/ No more arc welding #16  
BobRip said:
I looked at the Henrod website and it looks good. The low gas consumption means smaller tanks and lower operating cost. I have not found a price yet for it. I will probably purchase something in the next couple of weeks. I have to take it easy for 3 weeks to let things heal. I have a two inch incision in my chest.

I saw the article on the iPods. I will be careful.

Good to hear you're doing well! As far as going OA, there is nothing more flexible: cut, braze, weld, heat, solder: and can go anywhere without electricity! As the others said, there is an art involved [a bit rusty here too, though I think my arc welds look worse at that! :eek: ], but definitely satisfying.

Just glancing at the Henrob site, I'm thinking you could get a mid-range Smith or Harris set-up, so you'd already have the regulators. Then if the Henrob still looks attractive [never seen one before, but it certainly does], you can add that too!

Another option [but how about in addition to AO :D ]: what about a DC arc? No idea if it'd be safe, but I'd suspect any magnetic fields produced to be less risky than AC generated.

/ No more arc welding #17  
MossRoad said:
I once saw a guy weld a snuff can to a piece of thin sheet with a torch. THAT was impressive! I haven't gas welded in a long time. There's something about heating up two pieces of metal until they melt and then pushing that puddle of molten metal with the flame that is just too cool. :)

MR, I'd kinda forgotten about how much fun it was to gas weld. No flux to worry about etc.

/ No more arc welding
Spiffy said:
Good to hear you're doing well! As far as going OA, there is nothing more flexible: cut, braze, weld, heat, solder: and can go anywhere without electricity! As the others said, there is an art involved [a bit rusty here too, though I think my arc welds look worse at that! :eek: ], but definitely satisfying.

Just glancing at the Henrob site, I'm thinking you could get a mid-range Smith or Harris set-up, so you'd already have the regulators. Then if the Henrob still looks attractive [never seen one before, but it certainly does], you can add that too!

Another option [but how about in addition to AO :D ]: what about a DC arc? No idea if it'd be safe, but I'd suspect any magnetic fields produced to be less risky than AC generated.

They seem to be concerned about any magnetic fields. They warn about strong magnets. I don't think DC would help. The cost of doing much experimenting is kinda high. My doctor was very admant about "NO ARC WELDING". No problems with gas weldiing.

/ No more arc welding #19  
Bob,

There *might* be some form of electrical welding that would be safe with your pacemaker. I'd really prefer that you let somebody else do the experimenting. You've contributed a bunch to this forum, and I would like to see that continue.

Gravy

/ No more arc welding
Gravy said:
Bob,

I'd really prefer that you let somebody else do the experimenting.

Gravy

That's my plan. I have been reading more about the Henrob and it looks very interesting.

It is alright to store gas cylinders in an attached garage, or would it be better to put them in the shed?