No more arc welding

/ No more arc welding #31  
MossRoad said:
I have three 6 Plus plastic cans from Blitz.

Blitz USA: Fuel Containment and Accessories

I bought them before the Y2K scare so they are over 7 years old and not a hint of failure. I usually keep them full all year, as I have a generator and want a good supply in case of power outages, which are more frequent in our neighborhood than I care for. :rolleyes: I just put a dose of Stabil in there and have never had a problem with water or bad fuel during the winter, when I can store it for up to 5 or 6 months before usage.
I have 3 of the same plastic cans. They do work really well, but that’s another topic for another time. Now where’s the remote, back to the welding channel.....;) :)

/ No more arc welding #32  
KentT said:
Bob, if you don't mind me asking -- how expensive are they? The ability to both cut and weld would certainly be nice for someone who has neither capability...
I would be curious too.:eek:

/ No more arc welding #33  
   / No more arc welding #34  
That HENROB setup looks great! Lot of versatility in it. Plus it's a lot easier to safely mount that setup to make field repairs if need be.

Looking forward to your progress and opinions on it once you're up & about Bob.

/ No more arc welding #35  
You should have no prob gas welding. Like Moss said, it's as simple as heating till puddle, then move puddles together. I learned at age 12, so anyone can do it. (Aluminum is a different story.) Easier to see the puddle because the intense arc doesn't obscure you view.
The draw back w/ gas is that you aneal a big chunk of your material while you're sticking them together. So, big heat and work fast is good. Though I would imagine the Henrob would mitigate that prob.
I wasn't allowed to use filler rod as a kid until I made perfect welds by just fusing. I actually think that was easier, and you may too. Not having to worry about keeping the rod melting in the puddle made giving attention to the puddle more instinctive later.

/ No more arc welding
Barryh said:

That's what I paid, plus I got 2 extra tips for $30 and 3 pounds of welding rod.

I think this torch has a lot of advantages. It's about 600 degress hotter that a standard acetelyne torch and does the welding in a basically oxygen free atmosphere. This makes the welding easier and cleaner. Also the metal can be rusty. In my very limited knowledge it seems like a big advance in gas welding. My thanks to Moss for letting me know about it. I was kinda bummed out when I found I could not arc weld and now I am excited about using this. It does weld slower than MIG.

/ No more arc welding #37  
BobRip said:
... Also the metal can be rusty. ....

Hmm, no prob gas welding rusty steel here w/ a conventional torch. Never even heard of cleaning steel till I got a buzz box. Didn't pay it no nevermind either. No failures w/ either system.

/ No more arc welding #38  
Just to throw another couple of ideas into the ring:

If the main concern regarding "arc welding" (as related to a pacemaker) is the magnetic field generated by a typical transformer, then several alternatives come to mind:

An Inverter-based arc welder may produce a much lower magnetic field than a traditional transformer-based unit. Many brands offer inverter type models now mainly citing the advantage of light weight and small size, although at somewhat higher cost.

Another option could be the "ReadyArc" spool-gun (true MIG or flux core) models that use a couple of 12v DC car batteries as the power source. Again, no transformer, as the power source is as pure DC as you can get. These really work..... the US Army and Marines use them for emergency field repairs.

While there may be some magnetic field produced by the welding process itself, I would guess that the field generated by the typical high current transformer-type machines would be by far the biggest factor and source of concern.

Just a couple of thoughts..... arc welding is too much fun to give up if there is a reasonable way around the problem!

Rip

/ No more arc welding #39  
Rip said:
Just to throw another couple of ideas into the ring:

If the main concern regarding "arc welding" (as related to a pacemaker) is the magnetic field generated by a typical transformer, then several alternatives come to mind:

An Inverter-based arc welder may produce a much lower magnetic field than a traditional transformer-based unit. Many brands offer inverter type models now mainly citing the advantage of light weight and small size, although at somewhat higher cost.

Another option could be the "ReadyArc" spool-gun (true MIG or flux core) models that use a couple of 12v DC car batteries as the power source. Again, no transformer, as the power source is as pure DC as you can get. These really work..... the US Army and Marines use them for emergency field repairs.

While there may be some magnetic field produced by the welding process itself, I would guess that the field generated by the typical high current transformer-type machines would be by far the biggest factor and source of concern.

Just a couple of thoughts..... arc welding is too much fun to give up if there is a reasonable way around the problem!

Rip
If the transformer is the reason that the doctors told you not to arc weld because of interferance to the pacemaker, couldn't you locate the arc welder a good safe distance from where you are working run long leads to where youre welding have a disconnect where the welding is being done. That way you can with the remote disconnect turned off go and set the settings on the welder and turn the welder on since there is no power going to it at this time go to the work sit and throw the remote disconnect in. I know the answer can't be that simple but incase it would be safe to do it that way then you could continue doing arc welding. I sure hope you can figure out a way around the limitations that your health problems has put in your way.

/ No more arc welding #40  
You'll be surprised what he will be able to accomplish with the torch. We will see the true meaning of Artist! :)

For anyone who has never welded with a torch, it is time for you to try it out. The goggles are lighter, so you can see better. The flame is alive. The metal melts slowly at first, and once you have that puddle you push it along with the flame. Pushing liquid metal with a flame! What's cooler than that? If the puddle gets too small, you can add some filler by melting a rod into the puddle as you go. It is a two handed operation; one hand moving the torch in a rolling or circlular pattern and the other hand dipping the rod into the flame and puddle. What is really cool is a welding a nice clean joint where you don't need any filler at all. You just melt the two together. If any of you get the chance, pick up some 1/8 steel sheets and just play around with it. It really is fun. And it is so much more quiet than arc welding and no splatter or slag. Man, I gotta do some flame welding after I get that backhoe done. :)